Vista w/ Linksys WRT54g v.8.00 will not connect to internet

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by Tpac, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Tpac

Tpac

I have aDell with Vista home edition using DSL. I installed a newLinksys WRT54g v.8 and it will not connect to the internet (it say's local connection only). I tried rebooting the modem and router to no avail. Is there an easy fix for this?????

I've triedturning off the firewall and no dice, I also have McAfeerunning should I unistall / disable it too?

I've uninstalled McAfee, firewall off and network set to public. It still say's local connection only and will not access the internet. Anyone have a clue what to do to get this up. TIA

Tpac, Nov 25, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Tpac

Tpac

I figured out the problem with this setup, the Westell 6100 modem that is supplied with AT&T DSL is also a router. The easiest way to set this upto use if you already boughta wireless router is to set it up as a WAP, if you have not purchased a wireless router you want to buy a "wireless access point".

1. With the Linksys WRT54G you will connect your ethernet cable from your modem to 1 of the4 LAN connections on the Linksys (not the internet connection).

2.Next connect an ethernet cable from 1 of the other LAN connections on the Linksys to your computer's internet connection.

3. Openyour browser and type in 192.168.1.1 and hit enter. Type in "admin" in the password section and enter. Disable DHCP and PPP functions and hit save.

4. Reboot your systems and you will be connected and have your wireless up and running.

Here is a good link for Westell and what to do.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/bellsouth/3.14_Westell_2100_2200_6100_Info#6096

Tpac, Nov 27, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question