Vista vs. Firefox (Not Responding)

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by storm, Jul 17, 2007.

1. storm

storm

When I visit certain websites (like mindat.org and webmineral.com), Firefox stops working (never had this problem with XP) and gives the "(Not Responding) message at the top left of the browser window. Then I have to shut Firefox down and re-open it (and I never Restore the Session).

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix before the Service Pack comes out? I wonder if I'm missing a plug-in or something else that Firefox needs in order to work well with Vista...

storm, Jul 17, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. storm

storm

I wonder if this program found something related to the problem:

[​IMG]

I was trying out this free Perfectdisk program, but it wouldn't run...

storm, Jul 17, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. storm

AmericanNightmare

Ok after opening Firefox (i rarely use it but in the spirit of helpfulness i did so;) Anyway after opening it and going to both the sites you listed good work BTW many are not that thorough i am going to go out on a limb and say this is neither a Firefox or Vista issue ( at least not entirely)but possibly Java related. Go to start>control panel (classic view)open up the Java Control Panel>update tab then the Update now button. I could be way off in left field on this but to me it stinks of a Java runtime/applet etc. issue. It won't hurt anything to update it anyway. Let us know if this helps matters.

If your interested in using a different browser and you may not be which is understandable ( i was loyal to Firefox for a long time) here is a link to what i have used for the past year or so almost exclusively. It is very fast under Vista and has a ton of options. On my PC's it smokes Firefox and Opera no contest.

http://www.flashpeak.com/sbrowser/

*Update- I just saw the screen shot you posted could be part of the issue certainly looks suspicious does it not? If this is the case restoring your system to a point prior to installing and attempting to run that program could very well clear things up.

AmericanNightmare, Jul 17, 2007
  4. storm

storm

Thank you and I'll try your suggestion. I was perusing another tech forum and someone else reported that they seemed to encounter similar problems when trying to connect with certain websites--he thought it was related to websites that use JS. Maybe JS is Java Script? I'm not tech-savvy.

Thank you!

storm, Jul 17, 2007
  5. storm

AmericanNightmare

Yesi would imagine he was indeedreferring to Java Script that isthe main reason i cameto that conclusion myself i noticed that both the sites you mentioned were Java based. So i would go with that,try updating your Java you may infact be getting update messages you can't see due to a pop-up blocker or some other application blocking or hiding them.

AmericanNightmare, Jul 17, 2007
  6. storm

storm

I went to the Java homepage and downloaded the latest version--everything works fine--at least for the moment...

Thank you, AN!

storm, Jul 18, 2007
  7. storm

cyclic

If you use Sun Java you will get a notification in the systray to let you know there is an update, when clicking it you get the option to update then or remind for later.

For this to work there should be a background service running called 'jushed.exe' it uses minimum resources and it keeps you up to date.

cyclic, Jul 18, 2007
  8. storm

kingofnexus

Did you just suggest a background task to be running? Are you crazy?! Its all about as little background tasks to be running as possible, speeds up logging on, plus reduces CPU usage. Albiet a small amount, but it all adds up!

kingofnexus, Jul 18, 2007
  9. storm

AmericanNightmare

Glad to hear it and your quite welcome.

AmericanNightmare, Jul 18, 2007
  10. storm

AmericanNightmare

Yes what are you thinking?! For shame!;)

AmericanNightmare, Jul 18, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question