Vista Upgrade Restrictions

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by WAW8, Jan 28, 2007.

1. WAW8

WAW8

I've seen some posts about Vista upgrade restrictions that will not allow you to "upgrade" from Windows XP Pro to Vista Home Premium. You have to "upgrade" to a Business version or to Ultimate.

This bothers me because I have a tablet PC running XP Pro and only want the improved Tablet PC -- which I can get from Home Premium. I don't want to pay the extra for Ultimate features I don't need. Also, I can't use some of them because the embedded graphics chip won't handle Aero (at least, that's what the Vista Upgrade Advisor claims).

So, does anyone know if Vista actually enforces these "upgrade" restrictions? Or, are they only suggestions from MS?

WAW8, Jan 28, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. WAW8

Tha*Lunat!k

I could be wrong because I don't have personal experience with this, but I believe you can upgrade to any version.

When I first read the Amazon.com pre-order listings they specifically listed things like (XP Media Center Edition) next to Vista Home Premium or (XP Professional) next to Vista Business, making me think only certain versions of XP could upgrade to certain versions of Vista. The detailed listings indicated that they are compatible with any of them, however, and I believe this to be the case.

Though with any new OS I typically recommend a fresh hard drive to start from, so backing up and formatting or getting a new drive for Vista is probably a good course of action.

Tha*Lunat!k, Jan 28, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. WAW8

ericg

you can have a try, if the Windows XP Pro can not be upgraded to Windows Vista Home version, you can revert to XP.

ericg, Jan 28, 2007
  4. WAW8

ericg

ericg, Jan 28, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question