Vista Upgrade Edition Not Working Feedback anyone !!!

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by Therealdeal414, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Therealdeal414

Therealdeal414

Hi im currently running Windows XP Proffesional on my desktop, in which meets and exceeds all the requirements of installing windows vista. I purchased the Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade Edition becuase i was told that as long as you had XP and SP2 then you dint need to by the full install. So i got the upgrade went through the steps up to the install no problem and then it succesfully copyed the vista files and shut down for the next step only heres where it goes wrong...when booting back up it comes up with the loading screen but with no Vista logo just the bar on the bottom of the screen going left to right a couple a times then it looks like its gonna load up but instead the blue screen of death comes up saying that there is a problem loading up the OS and to restart the comp and see if it happens again, Which it dose. So i bring it back to my earlier version of windows and when XP comes up a message comes up that says you cannot install the version of windows you just tried to install. So lol....anybody got some ideas ?

Therealdeal414, Feb 2, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Therealdeal414

blackhat

[​IMG]

in-place upgrade is starting the upgrade in windows xp.

"clean" install is booting the computer with the upgrade dvd (it's still an upgrade so probably you need your xp cd)

blackhat, Feb 2, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Therealdeal414

Vistatester99

One idea, would be to format and using your upgrade DVD, install the 30-day trial version of Windows Vista. If the trial version installs successfully, then the issue is with the upgrade from XP to Vista and not with Vista itself. If Vista fails to install, then it is likely that something in your computer is not supported and I couldn't guess what that might be.

Vistatester99, Feb 2, 2007
  4. Therealdeal414

Therealdeal414

heres the thing when i try to upgrade it says that feature has been disabled and i need to do a clean install but when i try to do that i come up with these problems.

5. Therealdeal414

Vistatester99

So you are unable to do a clean install of the 30-day trial of Vista?

Or are you unable toinstall Vista, through an upgrade from XP to Vista?

6. Therealdeal414

Therealdeal414

I have the upgrade disk of windows vista home premeium, heres what happens it completely succsesfully copys the windows files, then it goes to 27% in to expanding files where it says to move forward windows must restart so it dose a restart, when it goes to restart it restarts not into XP but in to Windows Setup and when this happnens the green bar comes up at the bottom of the screen but no Vista logo over it like there would be if i was loading XP. From there istead of going back into the set up a blue screen comes up that says there is an error with windows and in order to not cause damage to the system this screen has come up bla bla bla...restart your computer again and if it happens again call the manufacturer. Of course it happens again and from there i have to restart xp from the boot screen. There it is in a nutshell.

7. Therealdeal414

Vistatester99

Just a note partially unrelated, the Vista logo is only the green bar across the bottom. There is no title screen like with XP.

As for you problem, are you sure there are no bad sectors on your Hard drive where Vista maybe extracting the files too? I haven't had to install Vista in a while, never an upgrade, but I don't recal the PC rebooting until the entire installation was complete and it booted straight into Vista after installation was complete. If you have another hard drive, pretty much any hard drive, try installing Vista using it to see if your current HD might be part of the problem. Just a thought.

8. Therealdeal414

Therealdeal414

Thanks for the unrelated note cuase i thought it mighta had somthing to do with a corruption that it wasnt coming up...as for putting it on another HD i dont really have one exsibbly useable and its an upgrade cd so it needs some sort of windows installed on the HD so i cant put it on another partion or something to see if its the problem.

9. Therealdeal414

Vistatester99

There is no way for you to install the 30-day trial version, without have some sort of XP installed on the Hard drive? Sorry, I don't know a lot about the upgrade version as I have only worked with the full install. But, some articles I have read is, it is possible to install an upgrade version of Vista without having to have XP, because supposedly on the upgrade DVD there is the ability to install a 30-trial version of Vista, then once that is installed, it is possible to upgrade from the 30-day trial to an activated version, just buy running the upgrade from the 30-day trial install before the 30 days runs out. Unfortunately, I don't have a upgrade Vista DVD to test out the theory.

Good luck!

10. Therealdeal414

Therealdeal414

I do have XP installed on my machine...its XP Pro....also i just did a system recovery which took my computer back to factory settings so there would be no chance of bad partions of my HD. I then updated everything as vista tells you to and then tetryed to clean install vista premium off the upgrade cd and i experienced the same problem. Under the list of backwards upgrade paths above it says that vista buisness and ultimate are the only in place instilation options for xp pro so do you think i may need to get the full version of vista premium or is there just a problem with my system installing the upgrade?

1. Advertisements

Ask a Question