Vista Upgrade Advisor

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by barrowhill, Nov 1, 2009.

1. barrowhill

barrowhill

I'm running XP and wish to upgrade to Windows 7 via Vista upgrade to preserve extensive list of programs.

I've a report successfully saved and printed regarding Windows 7 compatability but having downloaded and installed the Vista Upgrade Advisor this fails because the "featured you are trying to use..............." & "Insert the Microsoft Windows Vista Upgrade Disc........."

I've downloaded the Advisor software from Microsft site and installed and run on two different systems. Both fail as indicated above?????? Can anyone explain error as I don't believe I'm meant to use a disc. I certainly didn't for Win 7 Upgrade Advisor.

barrowhill, Nov 1, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. barrowhill

WAW8

MS has made a BIG DEAL about NOT supporting direct upgrades from XP to Seven, but in fact, they ARE supported -- you just need to use the right upgrade product.

Laplink mentioned some time back that they would produce such a product and they have.

If you go to their website you will find they have a product for allowing direct upgrades from XP to Seven -- but be sure to read the limitations they list.

Generally speaking, if it worked in Vista, it will work in Seven. But, Seven provides a LOT better ability to run legacy software than did Vista. So, it's likely that Seven will work better. If I were you, I'd just see what the Seven Upgrade Advisor says and check out the Laplink product.

As to the XP --> Vista --> Seven route, I'd advise against it unless you have an Vista installation disk with SP2 integrated. Why, because you're likely to get hit with HUNDREDS of upgrades just after you install Vista, with the SP2 upgrade causing LOTS of problems.

WAW8, Nov 3, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question