Vista updtae question

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by coolcat12, Jan 14, 2007.

1. coolcat12

coolcat12

Hi. I have a question(s) about vista update. If I get the update, which is cheaper, do I need an XP cd to install vista? Also my windows XP is on my C partain. Can I put vista update on my D partation? Becayse my C drice has left GB than my D. Thanks.

coolcat12, Jan 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. coolcat12

VistaRocks

If your gonna buy VISTA your better of getting the full version not the upgade.

VistaRocks, Jan 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. coolcat12

Jason

You can't really buy an xp - vista upgrade, upgrading and a complete install are both options when you buy the vista operating system. Once you choose the version of vista you want (Home,Ultimate etc..) and then buy it, during installation you have the option of upgrading your current pc which means you will retain the same programs and data or do a complete fresh installation which formats your current drive partition and installs the OS brand new like a new computer with no other data but the barebone operating system. Which means you will need to install all your programs again.

In theory I'd prefer a clean install since some of your existing programs may not work with vista so it just makes sense to re-install them afterwards to know for sure.

Jason, Jan 14, 2007
  4. coolcat12

coolcat12

I know about some of the things you said but you didn't answer my question. If I get the upgrade, Can I choose which partion I can upgrade too or it will update where XP is located. Thanks.

coolcat12, Jan 15, 2007
  5. coolcat12

blackhat

you gan only upgrade it to a partition where xp is installed.

pretty obvious becouse otherwise it isn't a upgrade.

to install it you will always need the (legal) xp disk.

blackhat, Jan 16, 2007
  6. coolcat12

techruss

Vista will allow you to install on a separate partition other than the the one that you have XP installed on, this will install a fresh copy of Vista on the alternate partition. I did this initially when testing but it got frustrating trying to go back and forth to access my files and programs on XP and then rebooting to launch Vista, especially after I started using Vista regularly.

techruss, Jan 16, 2007
  7. coolcat12

VistaRocks

Yes we all know that , but he is asking about just an upgrade version. Ya cant use an upgrade on an empty partition, you can only use the upgrade over top where ever XP is installed.

VistaRocks, Jan 16, 2007
  8. coolcat12

Jason

interesting...

Jason, Jan 16, 2007
  9. coolcat12

cfourkays

If I read the question right, and I have the same concern, can I use a Vista upgrade DVD to install on a "clean partition" or second hard drive as long as I have an original XP CD?

I have a XP Home Upgrade"gold" CD. Many times, I have formatted my HD and reinstalled XP. At the beginning of the installation, it stops and tells me it can't find a previous version of Windows and to insert the prior edition CD. It than reads the prior version, I eject the 98/ME/2000/Whatever version, reinsert the XP, and the installation proceeds.

I'm assuming that Vista will do the same thing, otherwise, how can a "recommended clean" install be done?

Am I correct? I see 3 different answers above.:unsure:

Pete

cfourkays, Jan 24, 2007
  10. coolcat12

VistaRocks

I believe the only way to do a "clean install" is to buy the full version not the upgrade.

VistaRocks, Jan 25, 2007
  11. coolcat12

cfourkays

As Jason posted; "Interesting"!

Especially when the clean install is touted in all the forums, including the MS Vista groups.

And what happens when you get a repair job where the HD failed on an Upgrade Vista and the original OS was on a partition and the customer has no disk to reinstall the original OS before you reinstall the Vista Upgrade?

And this would also stop me from buying the "Autographed" version since that's an upgrade.;)

cfourkays, Jan 25, 2007
  12. coolcat12

ericg

Upgrade is base on the previor os, so you cannot install the upgrade in another partition. if you have a vista install CD, you have two ways to setup Vista, one is upgrade from xp, the other is do a cleaninstall. You can do a clean install in another partition, so you xp system is still exist after you finishing setuping windows vista.

Do a clean install is better than upgrading, because many3rd-device which running well in xp has not incompatibility, you must install latest drive for these 3rd device!! Fortunately, many devicesarenow compatibility with vista.

ericg, Jan 28, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question