Vista Ultimate won't start after I converted my hard disks to dynamic disks.

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by ryanchrisolero, May 3, 2007.

1. ryanchrisolero

ryanchrisolero

Hi! Please help! I converted my two hard disks to dynamic disks. After that I made a spanned volume. I was able to transfer files to my newly created spanned volume. But when I rebooted my computer, Vista can't start. It displays this:

Booting 'Windows Vista'

acpi

Vista Loader 2.1.2

Done!

fallback 1

find --set-root /bootmgr

Error 17: File not found

Booting 'Windows NT/2000/XP'

fallback 2

find --set-root /ntldr

Error 17: File not found

Booting 'Enter Command Line'

Boot failed! Press any key to enter command line.

-------------------------------------------------

After I press the Enter key, GRUB4DOS 0.4.3 will show the

grub >

prompt.

Please help! Thanks!

ryanchrisolero, May 3, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. ryanchrisolero

kingofnexus

Very odd. Cant really help before asking you a few questions. Whats a dynamic drive? Whats a spanned volume? First time ive heard of this. Anyway best adviceI can give you is put in the vista disk again and select 'Repair Startup'.

kingofnexus, May 4, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. ryanchrisolero

ryanchrisolero

Dynamic disks provide features that basic disks do not, such as the ability to create volumes that span multiple disks (spanned and striped volumes), and the ability to create fault tolerant volumes (mirrored and RAID-5 volumes). All volumes on dynamic disks are known as dynamic volumes.

A spanned volume is a dynamic volume that consists of disk space on more than one physical disk. If a simple volume is not a system volume or boot volume, you can extend it across additional disks to create a spanned volume, or you can create a spanned volume in unallocated space on a dynamic disk.

I tried to use the repair from the DVD but it didn't worked.

ryanchrisolero, May 6, 2007
  4. ryanchrisolero

Jason

Its basically a software raid, instead of using a controller Vista can do it on it's on? Correct?

If your PC's boot disk got bumped out of wack, you can often fix it right back up using the original Vista installation disk, which comes with a pretty extensive System Recovery Tool that's got lots of options (see screengrab). Set your computer to boot from DVD (using the Boot setting in the BIOS), insert the disc and restart. Vista will prompt you for language and keyboard layout options, then ask if you want to reinstall Vista or repair your installation. You want Repair. From there Vista's System Recovery Tool will take over, and lead you down the road to happy vistages again.

Jason, May 6, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question