Vista Ultimate clean load on a new disc

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by Cyryx, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Cyryx

Cyryx

Hi,
    I'm sorry to ask simple questions, but I'm new to this. My boyfriend used to manage our PC, but since he died, I'm having to learn.

I have a new hard disc arriving to replace one that is beyond recovery. I've also acquired a copy of Windows VISTA x64 Ultimate (legally I may add) and want to format the disc so that I can have Vista in one partion, Linux in another (as a dual boot system) and a third partition for Windows programs and user data . I do not know ANY linux, - the partition is just to be made available for a friend to load into it and use it when she is over from America next month, so please, no Linux instructions - they will be as useful as Greek to me.

The disc is a WD 160gb - is 40/40/80 a good split given my needs, and as I have no disc partitioning software, nor any operating system, how can I do this please? There are 2 other discs on the system, but they are just data disks.

My friend says that it can be done from the Vista DVD and I've read threads on this forum about it but got very confused about "shrinkage" and stuff, so I need "noddy" instructions to get me thru it without getting frazzled.

Hope someone can help, and thanks in advance from a hopeful novice.
    Julie G

Cyryx, Apr 29, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Cyryx

Jason

I've never done it first hand so I don't want to send you the wrong way. Hopefully someone with experience will chime in.

Jason, Apr 29, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Cyryx

Cyryx

Please can anyone help, getting desperate now!

JulieG:crying:

Cyryx, May 1, 2007
  4. Cyryx

kingofnexus

Ok to start, I havent partitioned before using the Vista DVD, but the XP disc. However it should be very simaler. When installing look for options such as 'custom' or 'Set up partitions'. This should bring you to a screen which will walk you through how to partition the HD. Since you know what sized partitions you want it should be easy to do.

On a side note a calculator might be usefull as itmay want to denote partitions in MB not GB (1024MB to 1GB).

As long as you can find the screen, you should be fine. If you end up installing vista without partitioning it you still have a chance of partitioning again, its just more hastle.

kingofnexus, May 2, 2007
  5. Cyryx

Walker

I have done it :)

When you instal vista and aren't upgrading.

You click Custom(advanced) this will take you to a screen where there should be your HDD's (hard drives) select the ones you want and click advanced. Data loss isn't big as you always have to have unpartioned space. Then there should be a button called create new or something like that. anyhow part of the logo is a little star... sorry for not being more precise i just don't remmember it. Anyhow then you just create 2 partitions with the size 40000 MB and one with 80000 MB and voila...

Walker, May 2, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question