Vista theme has gone

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by carlove, Sep 28, 2010.

1. carlove

carlove

Hi just joined to ask a question, my laptop with Vista on completely broke about 20mins ago and it has just come back and has got windows classic theme and windows vista theme is out of the theme lists, does anyone know how to get the Vista theme back? (sorry about grammer)

carlove, Sep 28, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. carlove

WAW8

What to you mean it "completely broke"? More details would help.

If it siezed and you had to shut it down by turning it off, there's a strong chance the filesystem got corrupted in the shutdown.

In that case, open a command window and enter "sfc /scannow" to have it search for missing/damaged system files and correct them.

WAW8, Sep 29, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. carlove

carlove

What happened was the laptop has being going really slow and pausing for a week or so, did virus scan and it came up with no viruses. It completely froze last night so i pressed ctrl,alt,delete to start task manager while it did this it completely froze again and after 10-20 mins i pressed the off button after leaving the laptop for about 5 mins. I turned it back on it started second time and loaded normally with windows recovery, but when i logged in it was on classic theme. I dont know if it is any help but it is a Toshiba Satellite L300-29T.

carlove, Sep 29, 2010
  4. carlove

carlove

Vista theme is back but its still going slow.

carlove, Sep 29, 2010
  5. carlove

WAW8

You mean it would just freeze up for a week!!

WOW, you have a LOT more patience than I would have in the same situation.

Couple of possible causes:
    1) Overheating: CPU's getting too hot, throttles down to a lower speed to reduce the heat, PC runs slower. But ... you would see this in actions taking longer, not in pauses for great lengths of time. And, you would probably notice if it got THAT hot. You could download SpeedFan, install it, and if it shows different temps, see what they are and report back.
    2) Hard disk failure. Disks don't tend to suddenly fail (unless you drop them!); instead, they start developing back blocks and tracks -- with the result that disk reads and writes take a LOT longer than they used to. Can sometimes present at the machine appearing to seize up, when in fact, it's waiting for a disk action to finish. Best way to check this is to find out the make and model hard drive, go to the Manufacturer's website, and if they have a disk checking utility (they usually do), download and run that. If the disk is still under warranty and their utilities finds faults, you can generally get a replacement for free, or at a drastically reduced price.

Good Luck

WAW8, Sep 29, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question