Vista, "the good, the bad, and the ugly"

Discussion in 'Performance & Tweaks' started by Olde Farte, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Olde Farte

Olde Farte

Vista – “the good, the bad, and the ugly”.

Vista was not my first choice of an OS for my second ten year old PC (No.1 PC is an 800 pound gorilla). XP does not seem to like Dell hardware and dear old XP was becoming a bit, “flakey”.

I am lucky that I have the full set of Vista from Starter to Business Ultimate bought over the years from second hand PC stores or junk shops.

Vista of course has had a lot of negative comments and opinions thrown at it over the years. Could it be that some Vista users have not taken the time to understand Vista, just use it, “out of the box” and start complaining.

Really, to use an OS one has to get to know. “how it ticks” and do some intelligent, “slimming down” to suit the hardware capabilities.

Well, after trying the different versions of Vista on a ten year old Dell Optiplex GX270 (3Mhz processor, 1 GB RAM) I am delighted with Vista in it's Home Basic version. It does all I need and want and is near to, “bullet proof”. Fast enough, stable, and “slimmed down” is as fast, if not faster than XP.

OK, the Windows folder is a monster size, so what, does it matter. RAM usage can be high sometimes, that is what RAM is for, not to be coddled and doled out in tiny pieces.

Vista will run nearly any program thrown at it, even Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 (A Century of Flight). That is one heavy, “Fat Albert”of a program.

Open Office Version 4.1 opens and runs very quickly and well. Youtube, no problems. (I use Opera 24 as the browser).

So far all is good. If there are, “bad and ugly” in Vista I really can't find them. Sorry Clint Eastwood.

If only Microsoft could or would intergrate some Linux code into Win 7 or put out updates along those lines for Vista, imagine what an OS Vista would then be. (mere hopes, that's all).

Yes, I do ramble on in some of my posts. Probably having a, “senior's moment” from time to time. Age 70 is only a few years away.

Cheers to all from Olde Farte.

Olde Farte, Sep 22, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Olde Farte

Termingamer2JD

I think that too, people bash Vista and love 7, despite them being almost the same?

I agree on RAM too - it's not there for no reason.

Vista is a good OS even after all its neglect and hate, it was the last one before the ribbon infection took place as of Windows 7 and it had the old Movie Maker and the short lived Outlook Express successor.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    Termingamer2JD, Oct 14, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question