Vista support will end in 2017

Discussion in 'Vista News' started by Cammygirl192, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Cammygirl192

Cammygirl192

I would like to post that Windows Vista support will end in 11th April 2017 as a result of the ordinary Microsoft Windows cycle of life.
    This means you will only have one year left of updates before you will lose support.

Please note that this does not mean that the Vista Forums will close down: we will always be happy to provide you with the support you need with Vista, no matter the issues you have.

Make sure to update to Service Pack 2 if you have not already done so, since support for previous Service Packs ended in 2011.

~Cammy White

Cammygirl192, Mar 21, 2016
    1. Advertisements

2. Cammygirl192

clive

Thanks for the intel,

It's about another 8 months to go, i have my 2 Service Packs backed up on discs just in case i ever need to do a factory restore. Let's hope millions of folks flock back to Vista again, i can only dream.

clive.

clive, Aug 28, 2016
    1. Advertisements

3. Cammygirl192

VistaFanMartha

stupid Microsoft!

VistaFanMartha, Mar 30, 2017
  4. Cammygirl192

mike shupp

Yeah, Microsoft's kind'a let us down, the operating system we relied upon has gone and died, we're all bereft. When we gather at the sunset and stare into the distance .... we behold no Vista.

Well shucks. But we aren't children here, we knew this was going to happen, and most of us have made the progression to later if not better OS's ... Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Linux, FreeBSD, Dr-DOS 7.02, or whatever. We will crank out our business memos, post our Pinterest photographs, stumble along in Facebook, right swipe some friendly faces at Ashley Madison through out tears, and eventually come to terms with our bleak existence. Such is life, and we know that most of our friends and neighbors here will survive and go on, without -- too often -- being troubled by memories of a happier computer age.

But there are some of us .... who are still here. We are not fools nor bed-ridden, senile and erectally dysfunctional oldsters. We can face challenges. We have laptops to fall back on, or have dual-booted our desktop machines. We exist already in the present day. But there are games which will still run on Vista but not Windows 7. There are application programs that work just fine here. There are printers that work just splendidly with Vista and wifi cards and other still-functioning hardware. More to the point, this was the modern operating system Microsoft built, the first OS that attempted to be beautiful rather than adequate and cozy (Gemutlich as our German counterparts might say of Windows 98 and XP). It would be a shame to cast Vista aside so coldly.

So what is to be done? Well, Vista is dying but still endures. The OS won't totally cease to function in the next few days or weeks, or be lamed beyond redemption. We can make adjustments. MS Security Essentials must give way at last to other anti-virus programs -- Avast, AVG<,Avira, BitDefender, Norton, ... There's a long list of alternatives to consider, and perhaps we can discuss their advantages and imperfections at length in the future. MS's Windows Defender might well be replaced by Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The Windows Vista firewall might better substitutes,. I've seen suggested -- I'm still thinking over that one myself. Cruelest blow of all, Internet Explorer should give way to browsers -- Firefox or Opera or Sleipnir or .... We can talk about THIS topics for months! And keep up a side-thread grumbling about Microsoft's fecklessness in not maintaining IE properly.

The Vista operating system isn't totally dead, I'm trying to suggest. The community of its users may shrink but also need not die. We can keep going. We can enjoy going onward. We can still talk about using the OS to each other. We can make suggestions for tuning up hardware and software. We can find overlooked gems of application programs and games. We can appreciate the OS and admire its merits and praise its many virtues (and occasionally grumble about its few weaknesses) just as we would with MS-DOS 9.6 or Windows XIII or any other fantasy that may strike our imagination as we poke at our keyboards.

Ad astera, my comrades. Towards braver, bolder, ever more beautiful Vistas!

mike shupp, Apr 18, 2017
    1. Advertisements