Vista start menu apps rearranging. No!

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by carmellolb, Jul 13, 2017.

1. carmellolb

carmellolb

Hi,

I am using Windows Vista Ultimate x86 on a Dell Optiplex PC. I have a strange request here, but I hope there is a way to fix it. I do remember when Vista was coming out, I was hearing that the Start menu will have a feature that displays recently opened programs. When I ended up getting Vista though, I noticed that in the Start menu, there was a list of everyday apps already in there before I opened anything, but when I do open apps though, the orientation changes. But I myself happen to like the orientation it comes with, so, ever since I got Vista, I have been going crazy attempting to keep the Start menu in that orientation, and it has just become a habit. But is there any way to make it stay the way it is? I have heard that if you open Taskbar properties, then click Start menu, and uncheck show a list of recently opened apps, it would do what I wanted. But no, when I did it, it just removed them all! I had to open them all back in the right order to get them back! So what I am saying is that I don't want it to rearrange anything as I open apps, and just keep the same orientation. So basically, I just want this feature disabled, and make it just a convenient list of everyday apps. Is there any regedit, group policy editor, or any trick for this? Please help! I have been driven nuts over the past few years since I got Vista!

WHAT I'VE BEEN SUGGESTED BEFORE AND HAS NOT WORKED:
    1. Clicking Pin to Start menu on the apps. (didn't work because I want the apps listed below the line, not above the line.)
    2. Unchecking pin recent items in taskbar properties (just removed them all).

Here is the orientation I like:

Top: Welcome Center, Windows Media Center, Windows Ultimate Extras, Windows Media Player, Windows Photo Gallery, Windows Live Messenger, Windows DVD Maker, Windows Meeting Space.

There is also a picture of the default orientation that I like (from Wikipedia):
    Windows_Vista.png

(note that I have Windows Live Essentials so Windows Live Messenger is not Download and it is just Messenger.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    carmellolb, Jul 13, 2017
    1. Advertisements