Vista special folder structure

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by kevvyb, Jul 3, 2009.

1. kevvyb

kevvyb

Hi

I am trying to move the location of the sepcial folders in Vista to another partition and in so doing I think I may have lost the user folder in C:/users/[username]/.......

In trying to acheive this (whcih seems much harder than in XP), I think I may have messed up the default folder structure and I need to put it back. On the C drive I appear to have lost the username folder so my special folders are in C:/users/My Pictures for example rather than C:/users/xxxxx/My Pictures

[​IMG]

But the virtual folders show a username....?

[​IMG]

I have tried to create a folder with the user name but the system doesn't like this, thinking I am trying to create a new contacts folder.

Once I've got that sorted how do I go about moving the location of all the special folders. Is it possible to move the location of the whole lot in the user folder to another location?

kevvyb, Jul 3, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. kevvyb

kevvyb

Somethimg had gone wrong. Reinstall got back to defaults but problems just recurred.

Ihave tried again moving the default locations of the Vista special folders using the move location route. All seems to go well until at some point, something goes wrong or I do something wrong and I find a whole host of files being copied over when I know there is nothing in the default folder location as yet. These files seem to have nothing to do with the folder I am moving.

What is happening? Trying to work it out and put everything back where it was does not see very straightforward. On this I much preferred XP. Right click myDocuments, Move, Browse, OK. Done. The whole lot. This way of doing it in Vista is a complete pain in the arse in comparison.

For now I've given up and am just leavign them where they are. But I don't want to be beaten by this. So can anyone suggest where I may be going wrong, if I am...?

kevvyb, Jul 4, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. kevvyb

WAW8

You can't move the special folders because they're not folders at all; they're soft links to the real folders.

WAW8, Jul 4, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question