Vista SP2 Failed Installation with error 0x8007000D ERROR_INVALID_DATA

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by inverted.mark, Jul 24, 2010.

1. inverted.mark

inverted.mark

I am using windows vista home premium 32bit oem on a compaq cq40 108tu. I was actually using windows 7 for months but some circumstances force me to go back to vista. I installed sp1 first then sp2. Here comes the problem. An error stops the installation: 0x8007000D ERROR_INVALID_DATA

I've searched various forums but the answers are not clear. I tried SUR, installing in safe mode, disabling antivirus (by the way, I'm using Kaspersky), disabling third party software, even tweaking the registry.

The error is so persistent.

Can someone help me solve this problem?

inverted.mark, Jul 24, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. inverted.mark

WAW8

In future, please don't tack posts onto pinned threads. That gets them all cluttered with exchanges.

As to your problem, there is no simple fix that is guaranteed to work.

I found the link below to a registry patch that claims to reset your registry so that you can continue to do updates:

http://www.technipages.com/vista-error-8007000d-during-windows-update.html

I don't know if it will work, or if you've already tried it, and as with all registry changes, there is a risk that it may damage your system. So, use it with caution.

I had a similar problem doing the SP2 upgrade on a Vista Ultimate SP1 desktop. I contacted MS online support and even with remoting into my machine, they were unable to repair it online. I had to purchase an SP1 DVD from them, and to a repair install. Only after that, was I able to continue doing updates.

Perhaps you'll be one of the lucky ones, and this simple registry patch will work.

WAW8, Jul 24, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question