Vista SP1 Leaked Analysis

Discussion in 'Vista News' started by Jason, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Jason

Jason

It's no secret that there's a leaked beta of Vista SP1 floating around, but no-one yet has really taken the time to analyse it in detail to find out what it really does.

I made it my mission this weekend to trawl through the registry and file changes in SP1 to find out as best I could exactly what SP1 does.

First up, I can say that there is a very noticeable performance increase. It is obvious that since Microsoft released Vista to manufacturing, it has been optimising the code ever since. (I suspect this revelation will fuel the fires of the people who say Vista was released before it was ready for prime-time.) There’s far less hard drive thrashing and in general the system seems much smoother and more responsive.

Amusingly, the build of SP1 we saw (which in this beta comes fully integrated into a 3.2GB Vista install DVD, rather than as a standalone update) still has Microsoft's internal network shares embedded as the source of the updates. For example:

\\\\winbuilds3\\longhorn_SP1Beta1\\longhorn_SP1Beta1
    \\6001.16549.070628-1825\\x86fre\\packages\\ServicePack"

Not that that info is really useful to anyone, but it mildly tickled our curiosity bone (next to the funny bone) to see the file layout of Microsoft's internal distribution shares.

<SPAN class="inline middle">[​IMG]<SPAN class=caption style="WIDTH: 398px">Vista SP1</SPAN></SPAN>

The first noticable change is obviously the version number. Windows Vista has a build number of 6.0.6000, whereas this build is 6.0.6001 (full version number is 6001.16549). This is quite interesting as one of the much-anticipated (and officially acknowledged) changes in SP1 was to bring the Vista kernel up to the same kernel as that used in Windows 2008 (version 6.1). It's possible that this aspect of the service pack is still in development, and not included in this version of the private beta.

<SPAN class="inline middle">[​IMG]<SPAN class=caption style="WIDTH: 398px">Vista SP1 Build Number</SPAN></SPAN>

Normally, service packs don’t include new features – Windows XP SP2 being the standout exception. By and large this seems to be true of Vista SP1, although there is a new maintenance application called “Create a Recovery Disc”. This isn’t the same thing as creating a backup of the system to DVD – instead this process creates a recovery DVD which you can use with system recovery options if you don’t have an original Windows DVD or you can’t access OEM recovery tools.

<SPAN class="inline middle">[​IMG]<SPAN class=caption style="WIDTH: 398px">Create Your Own Recovery Disc</SPAN></SPAN>

At this point in its development, SP1 comes installed with four updates:<UL><LI>Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB936330) <LI>Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB937286) <LI>Hotfix for Microsoft Windows (KB937287) <LI>Update for Microsoft Windows (KB938371) </LI>[/list]

There is a full list of suspected hotfixes that were to be included with Vista SP1 (check them out at www.vistasp1.net), but these four are not on the list. Unfortunately as the beta is not yet public, there’s no publicly-accessibl

Jason, Aug 12, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Jason

kingofnexus

Cant wait for SP1. I get the estimated time remaining problem with everything. Dunno whether i'd try for the beta or just wait for the full release...

kingofnexus, Aug 13, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Jason

Jason

I can't wait, so everytime I resume from sleep my dang computer doesnt restart.

Jason, Aug 13, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question