Vista Sidebar 6.0.5342.02 Patch, for non-Vista platforms

Discussion in 'Sidebar & GUI Customization' started by Jason, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Jason

Jason

Download: Mirror 01 <SPAN style="COLOR: rgb(204,0,0)">(new!)</SPAN>
    Download: Mirror 01 // Mirror 02

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 14pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 100%">Frequently asked questions</SPAN>

Q. Can I just replace the Vista.Emulation.dll from revision 0 to upgrade to revision 1?
    A. Yes.

Q. How do I work around the "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0150002). Click on OK to terminate the application." issue?
    A. As ZoRoNaX and I use Visual Studio 2005, I believe this issue has to do with new system libraries we're linking against. Apologies. Try installing the .Net Framework (v2.0).

Q. The Launcher gadget causes an error and crashes Sidebar.
    A. Use revision 1.

Q. The Slideshow gadget settings pane seems to be broken! How do I fix it?
    A. ZoRoNaX noticed and fixed this. Replace the code in <U>settings.html</U> with this code.

Q. Can Vista.Emulation.dll be shared by different Sidebar executables?
    A. Probably but it's an unsupported configuration.

Q. Where do I put the Gadgets/Gadgets folder?
    A. If you were a legitimate Vista beta tester, you would have copied the Windows Sidebar folder in its entirety, which contains a Gadgets folder in the directory containing the executable. Inside this folder, there are .Gadget folders containing the gadget information. Old parts are not compatible.

Q. I ran the patch and now I get an error (not a valid Win32 application). WTFO?
    A. You likely failed to read the version number on the patch, topic, readme, etc. and tried to patch an incorrect or altered version. Try again.

Q. I added a bad gadget and now I can't start Sidebar. How do I fix this?
    A. Delete the C:\Documents and Settings\&lt;user name&gt;\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar folder.

Q. Why are things white, miscoloured, etc.?
    A. The Sidebar team decided to switch from using their own internal layout engine to relying on Internet Explorer's rendering. Because Internet Explorer 6.x fails to render the PNG alpha channels correctly, gadgets using such PNGs are affected. You can alter the gadget's HTML/JS to render such PNGs using DirectX alpha transformation (or upgrade to Internet Explorer 7 beta).

Q. I receive "The ordinal 60 could not be located in the dynamic link library ATL.DLL"! How do I fix this?
    A. Your ATL.dll is old or very new. We'll try to find a more general ordinal for the next patch but for now, just copy ATL.dll from an XP machine into the same folder as Sidebar.exe.

Q. How do I get Sidebar gadgets working on non-English locale systems?
    A1. Each gadget has an IETF language tag-named folder. In this case, all of them are en-US. You may want to rename these to the proper tag for your system (or easier, see A2). You can guess or execute this small executable (.net 2.0). Source code here.

A2. Move everything out of the IETF tag-named folder into the root of the gadget's folder (and optionally delete en-US) - ZoRoNaX

Q. My clock gadget settings page has white text. My eyes hurt! How do I fix this?
    A. Assumptions on how the window would look on Microsoft's part cause this problem. Open worldClock.Gadget\&lt;lang&gt;\styles\setting.css a

Jason, Jun 13, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question