Vista Shutdown causes Hardisks to spin up shutdown 4 times!

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by craig, Jun 13, 2007.

1. craig

craig

I have read elsewhere of some users experiencing the problem of hard disks making the infamous clicking noises on shutdown of any version of vista.

I don't know if its only SATA HD but thats what I have and I am experiencing the same thing.

It has me concerned that the clicking of the HD arms might be unnecessary wear and tear.

any fixes for this?

thanks.

craig, Jun 13, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. craig

craig

bump

craig, Jun 19, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. craig

WAW8

I have experienced the same thing on external USB-connected drives. I can't hear the drives inside my case, they're too quiet. But, in the case of the external drives, this has been happening for over six months and I have yet to experience any problems as a result. My guess is that the drive is simply parking the heads prior to shutting down, and if that's true, it's protecting your drive, not damaging it.

WAW8, Jun 20, 2007
  4. craig

Jason

It's probably just creating and dumping readyboot cache onto the hard disk for the next boot up. This stores cache of you commonly loaded programs for startup, and loads them back into memory asap.

Jason, Jun 20, 2007
  5. craig

craig

okay thanks. do you think the extra slaps of the heads are bad?? also it spins up and shuts down 4 times. why would it need to do that for writing startup cache on the drive?

craig, Jun 20, 2007
  6. craig

WAW8

In my case, all I get is a single loud click, and the drive spins down. What I suspect, from the "old" days when you actually parked the drive heads prior to shutdown, is that is what's happening.

I've heard drives that are going bad, and it's not that kind of sound.

Also, in my case, it's not the quiet clicking sounds you get when read or write operations are being done.

I do not get the 4-pass problem you're talking about. I can not fathom why it would need to do multiple passes.

WAW8, Jun 21, 2007
  7. craig

craig

ya I cant either. so what Im doing is just shutting her down after the first spin down and so far no errors are happening from doing that.

craig, Jun 24, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question