Vista - Repairing Media player

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by henryj, Jan 24, 2008.

1. henryj

henryj

Ipurchased a Dell computer in November 2007. I came loaded with Vista.

I could play videos in Media Player perfectly

I now can not view videos with Media Player, I do hear the video playing.

Prior to this problem I ran the Regseeker program, I triedreloadingthe regseekerback up files that did not work.

Dell support found I was unable to access Hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\MediaPlayer\player\extention\types

The path goes to Hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\Media Player\player ….. no \extention\types.

I can not uninstall Media Player and reinstall it. I tried going to Microsoft and down load Media player that failed … I have a newer version of Media player than the down load version.

I tried down loading Vista codec, it fails, i get this message" you are unable to access Hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\MediaPlayer\player\extention\types."

I am running RealPlayer, it works fine.

Do you have a fix for this problem?

TIA

henryj

henryj, Jan 24, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. henryj

MafiaLord91

I would try running Vistas System Restore program. You may be able to get the machine to revert back to a time before you had this problem. Another option is to use the repair install feature if you have the recovery dvd (although I would try to use system restore first).

MafiaLord91, Jan 31, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question