Vista Refuses To Boot

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by dot0dotdot, Jul 7, 2007.

1. dot0dotdot

dot0dotdot

I recently installed Vista on my PC, a clean install, and it has been running fine until this morning. I turned my computer off last night, wake up, and I am surprised by:

Code:
    Booting 'Windows Vista'

acpi
    Vista Loader 2.1.0

Done!
    fallback 1 
    find --set-root /bootmgr

Error 17: File not found
     Booting 'Windows NT/200/XP'

fallback 2
    find --set-root /ntldr

Error 17:
     Booting 'Enter Command Line'

Boot failed! Press any key to enter command line.
    I have searched the forums and most of the problems have to do with dual booting. I have not once dual booted this computer. This error just popped out of no where with no hardware changes. I have used the Vista dvd to try the startup repair, it says there is nothing wrong. I went into the command line within the repair utility and checked bcdedit in the sys 32 folder to see if anything was up with the boot file, nothing. I am clueless...

Thanks in advance,
    Andrew

dot0dotdot, Jul 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. dot0dotdot

cnlevo

is there an option to reinstall just the windows files (like in XP)? So it wouldn't be a clean install, but all windows system files would be reinstalled.

other option is do you have any other hard drives? Not partitions on one drive, but more then one physical drive. Sometimes for some reason my bios switches the hard drives up in boot settings. All i have to do is move the primary hdd back into the number one spot and everything is better.

cnlevo, Jul 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. dot0dotdot

Wojman

By clean install did you actually re-format the entire hard drive again (taking EVERYTHING out) if that is not the problem, it looks like a problem with the MBR (Master Boot Record) I found a pretty good website reguarding fixing your MBR, here it is.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/44/master_boot_record_mbr_fix_repair

Follow the steps, however i have never attempted this, so use at own descretion

Wojman, Jul 7, 2007
  4. dot0dotdot

norwoodstar

Hi mate,

I got exactly the same error message. That doesn't help you I know, I have no idea what the problem is, my computer is defiantly powerful enough to run Vista. I tried installing it, and the installation, except for taking ages, worked fine, I rebooted for the first time, into Vista, and screen came up with the exact same error as you got, so I reinstalled, and then again, and formated my hdd, but still the same problems. I got offered a few choices one was to goto a dos like prompt ( but not DOS ). I am well uh.......... hacked off with this situation, if you find anything out that makes your work, can you please let me know, I have looked online but very few forums have any info on this. Good luck getting yours working too.

norwoodstar, Jul 25, 2007
  5. dot0dotdot

WAW8

Does the following look familiar:

====================================

title find and load NTLDR of Windows NT/2K/XP

fallback 1

find --set-root /ntldr

chainloader /ntldr

savedefault --wait=2

====================================

These are entries from a Linux GRUB boot loader config file (known as menu.lst). What gives this away is the use of "--set-root" by which the use of "--parm-value" is a standard way of indicating passed parameters in Linux commands.

As to how Linux GRUB got loaded onto your machines -- that's the mystery!

It didn't come from the Vista DVD because it uses Windows PE as its boot environment, not Linux GRUB.

Have any of you used a Linux-based boot CD recently? An example of such a CD is the recovery CD created by Acronis True Image.

WAW8, Jul 25, 2007
  6. dot0dotdot

letsgetsilly

I have the exact same problem. Doesn't seem to be any reason for it.

The only thing that is unique to my situation is I was using a new hard drive that had been temporarily used for storage on XP system.

Wanting to start fresh, I deleted that partition during the setup of Vista and created 2 new partitions. My goal was to leave one partition open for the installation of XP in the future.

After going through the installation I end up with Error 17. I did repairs, etc., no problems found.

I started over, deleted partitions, formated both of them, end up with Error 17.

Started over, tried to delete both partitions (now I can't delete for some reason) haven't had a chance to reinstall yet.

Anyone found the source of this problem?

letsgetsilly, Aug 1, 2007
  7. dot0dotdot

WAW8

When you get the error 17, does it say the following?

Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition

Press any key to continue...

If so, that's a GRUB error (as in the Linux boot loader) in which the loader doesn't recognize the filesystem of the partition being used for booting -- which is to be expected if you're trying to boot from an NTFS partition -- which you would be to boot Vista.

So, once again I have to ask the question -- has anyone who is getting these errors done the following:

-- Installed Linux in a multi-boot environment with Vista

-- Used a System Recovery CD and installed GRUB as a byproduct

-- Used an Acronis True Image recovery CD

If the answer to all of these is no, then this is a real mystery because, as I said earlier, Vista installer uses Windows PE, not Linux, during its setup, and unless MS has decided to mirror the installation setup and error messages used in GRUB, there's no reason you should be seeing GRUB error messages on a Vista box.

WAW8, Aug 3, 2007
  8. dot0dotdot

ZeroHopeX

Hello, I am receiving the same error. I have never loaded Linux - any flavor. This error just occured for me after installing a Vista update. To answer your questions regarding linux, it loads a screen that says "bash like" interface. It's definitely a Windows issue but they've obviously copied something from Linux or else it would be bash not "bash-like." It looks just like XP used to when the MBR got messed.

Using the bash-like command line you can try and boot but you have to manually load the kernel first. Unfortunately, I don't have enough experience in Bash-Like settings to know how to load the kernel first. If I find a solution I will post it.

After reviewing the screens it is indeed Grub4Dos which loads the command line like settings.

ZeroHopeX, Aug 29, 2007
  9. dot0dotdot

cyclic

This appears to be a physical address extensions problem, ie; the translation from the BIOS for the address being called doesn't exist which explains the apparent Linux type messages which ar'nt, but rather than explain the reason for that try these fixes, first the easy option, enter BIOS set up and change the disk type for the boot drive from 'auto' to LBA mode, this can fix the problem 50% of the time, if that fails try;

1. Boot Vista to safe mode with command line
    2. Run the command' bcdedit /set PAE ForceEnable' (remove '')
    3. Run 'bcdedit 'again to verify the switch is added
    4. Reboot the system and check whether the problem is fixed

DEP uses the PAE force enable switch and as it's enabled by default it should already have been done, but you know what OS installs are like, just because it should have been doesn't always mean it has.

Oh yes and sometimes a BIOS update can fix the problem 'cos it's likely your BIOS has got a damaged boot block, which is nice !

If none of these work then ya got me.

cyclic, Aug 30, 2007
  10. dot0dotdot

ZeroHopeX

Hello Cyclic,

Thank you for your help. I ran out of patience. Formatting the drive still doesn't fix the issue since the problem appears to be with the the way the bootloader accesses the partition anyway. So I used the Vista InstallDisk tostart the install process and then destroyed the partition.

Then I restored from a Norton Ghost Image (I backup every 800mb or 3 days). After several failed attempts I learned that I needed to Wipe the partition and leave it blank. Then with 0 partitions on the disk I was able to restore from the Ghost Image after I checked "Return Original Disk Signature."

Note: to anyone else restoring from Ghost (12.0 is vista compatible). Only check "Return Original Disk Signature" if there are no partitions. Otherwise it doesn't work. Also, do not use the restore MBR options. It's for pre-vista Os's.

Hopefully someone will solve this without going through all this trouble.

Kindly,

Zero

ZeroHopeX, Aug 30, 2007
  11. dot0dotdot

cyclic

Exactly, because PAE isn't turned on, I wish I had known earlier you had used a Nasty Norton product, they really do cause so many problems at least I now know that it was a Norton image that caused the problem, I had been trying to work out how Vista managed to install without enabling PAE as it needs it for DEP, your post makes it clear for me and I thank you for that, I hate problems that don't appear solveable and I'm delighted you got around the problem, one up to you I believe.

[​IMG]

cyclic, Aug 31, 2007
  12. dot0dotdot

LuckyMe

LuckyMe, Sep 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question