Vista RC1 - Still seems a long way off a decent OS

Discussion in 'Vista News' started by kingofnexus, Sep 9, 2006.

1. kingofnexus

kingofnexus

I've had RC1 installed for about a day and i've had IE7 crash twice, and the computer fail to resume from sleep.

During beta 2 Ie7 crashed often when doing anything involving video, but flash webbys seemed perfectly fine (including websites with inbuilt flash advertisements). Since then viewing www.newscientist.com crashed IE for no apparent reason, so did www.supremecommander.com (which is a full flash website). Neither webby'scrashed once in Beta 2.

Also today, I decided to defrag the HD seems i had recently upgraded to RC1, during the insane amount of time it was taking with no way of telling what it was on, i left the comp to its own devices, it subsequently went to screensaver, then to sleep. When i got back to the computer I hit the return key to wake it up, to find a black screen, and the HD whirring like it was defragging, but nothing would work, i tried listening for sounds if i hit the windows key, tried ctrl-alt-del, then every key on the keyboard (even hit the media center button on da remoteto see if I could hear media center load). Gave-up and reset. Granted on Beta 2 I didn't let the comp go to sleep during a defrag, Beta 2 didn't fail on me once resuming from sleep (but it did wake up at 4:27 AM every morning).

I would expect leaving ur comp alone while de-fragging would be a normal everyday occurance which MS should have thought about.. but Vista is so far away from being an OS i would want to use everyday.

PS ive sent a message to MS if they ever read them about my experience about my first day with RC1.

kingofnexus, Sep 9, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. kingofnexus

Spoorzoeker

I've installed the 64 and now the 32 bit version, and no trouble at all.

Spoorzoeker, Sep 9, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. kingofnexus

blackhat

It really suck when you can't boot from sleeping mode. you can't boot up the OS so you have to re-install it. lucky for me I have got a KNOPPIX dvd so I could remove the "boot from sleeping mode" files.

it is great to see the new OS. but it is still not useable for a primary OS

blackhat, Sep 11, 2006
  4. kingofnexus

Vista Sux

I am pissed!!!!! Just spent an hour installing this piece of S**T and I can't connect to the web at all!!!! way to go winblows...

Vista Sux, Sep 28, 2006
  5. kingofnexus

SlippperyToy

HELLO!!! ..... it is a release canidate, of course it is going to have bugs. At lease microsoft was kind enough to offer free downloads of a "preview" operataing system. Sure the bugs may be frustrating, but hey, it is a technically a beta.

SlippperyToy, Sep 29, 2006
  6. kingofnexus

Alsajoso

Agreed, it IS a BETA and should be treated as such. Personally the only issue I have with the OS is resuming from sleep, doesn't want to do it!!! Other than that I have had no crashes or lockups whatso-ever.:D

Alsajoso, Sep 30, 2006
  7. kingofnexus

SlippperyToy

Aside from no mixer support and no SLI support, I have had no problems whatsoever. So far I am "medium" impressed. I will prolly not buy Vista until a 1st service pack has been released.

SlippperyToy, Sep 30, 2006
  8. kingofnexus

blackhat

why are you even here if you hate vista?

blackhat, Sep 30, 2006
  9. kingofnexus

jlhknyc

just installed 32 bit....only real problem is the damn ati catalyst...other than that runs smooth so far....

jlhknyc, Oct 1, 2006
  10. kingofnexus

msjones

Hi

I have been using RC1 for a while now! And i can honestly say i am yet to have my system crash on me! I have thrown all i cant at my little latitiude laptop, video editing, gaming, video and audio encoding, dvd ripping and still no crash!

As for your sleeping problem, microsoft has had a long history of problems with this function with all windows releases, especially 98'. Have you tried the hibernate function!? I find this work alot smoother than the sleep option.

I visit alot of forums and find that most people using vista who experience crashes are using AMD chips, could this be a cause of most ailments?

Matt

msjones, Oct 2, 2006
  11. kingofnexus

kingofnexus

Fair point about the AMD problems, I have sleep working now, but the AMD cool 'n' quiet drivers fail to work after resuming from sleep.

On a side note, since installing ATI RC1 Drivers, 9/10 Boots blue screen, nothing i can do about it, and I can't seem to enable system restore, it says 0 restorepoints, and the link it gives you to enable it leads to nowhere...

MS better hurry up and release RC2 for us CPP'ers

kingofnexus, Oct 29, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question