Vista RC1 freezes during installation

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by revenge7, Sep 3, 2006.

1. revenge7

revenge7

I have 2 hard drives. One has XP, and the other is blank. When I try to install Vista RC1 on my second hard drive, the files are copied to the computer, but when it restarts my computer, it freezes when it gets to the screen with the loading screen that has the green bar and the copyright info. I have tried installing it from XP, and I tried booting from the disk. I even tried mounting it onto a virtual drive. Nothing worked.

The same thing happened when I tried to install Beta 2.

UPDATE: I tried to reboot in safe mode, and it froze after it loaded disk.sys

revenge7, Sep 3, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. revenge7

Jason

Try unpluggin the xp hard drive and setting the 2nd one to master. And installing from there. Should do the trick.

Jason, Sep 3, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. revenge7

revenge7

a) I tried that when I was installing Beta 2

b) Wouldn't that make it so I couldn't dual boot?

revenge7, Sep 3, 2006
  4. revenge7

revenge7

I tried doing an upgrade on my hard drive with XP, and the same thing happened.

revenge7, Sep 3, 2006
  5. revenge7

doghucat

Boy I must be lucky I have installed Vista 5 different times and every time went without a glitch and this last time took aboout 40 minutes total to final startup. Maybe its a bad download. Due you allow for the install to check for updated system info or files in the beginning of the install someone else had that issue and that solved the problem. Due clean install and all mine have been from within XP to a separete 20 gig hd.

doghucat, Sep 3, 2006
  6. revenge7

revenge7

I've already downloaded it twice. It must be something with my computer. My CPU sucks, so it might be that.

Here's what I got:

Computer:

Operating System -- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

OS Service Pack -- Service Pack 2

DirectX -- 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard:

CPU Type -- AMD Athlon XP, 1666 MHz 2000+

Motherboard Name -- ASRock K7S8X v3

Motherboard Chipset -- SiS 746FX

System Memory -- 1024 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)

BIOS Type -- AMI (07/11/03)

Display:

Video Adapter -- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 Ultra (128 MB)

Multimedia:

Audio Adapter -- SiS 7012 Audio Device

Storage:

IDE Controller -- SiS PCI IDE Controller

SCSI/RAID Controller -- SCSI/RAID Host Controller

Disk Drive -- SAMSUNG SP1213N (120 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)

Disk Drive -- WDC WD400BB-00GFA0 (37 GB, IDE)

Optical Drive -- HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B

SMART Hard Disks Status -- OK

Network:

Network Adapter -- Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

revenge7, Sep 4, 2006
  7. revenge7

Todd

I have had this same problem with Vista since the last 3 or 4 builds. The upgrade option does it every time I try to install it. The only way I've found to get around it is by just creating another partition on my hard drive, and doing a clean install.

Todd, Sep 4, 2006
  8. revenge7

prdarkness

i have same problem to. and whats funy is that i also have an asrock K7S8X i am now wondering is there a problem with our motherboards. because i have tried beta1, 2, and the new rc1

my processer is an athlon xp 2400

running 512mb pc2700i had 1.5gigs but for some reason my pc would lockup when i would had my extra vicking 512mb pc2700 x 2

i have 2 hardrives, 1 is an 80gig and the other is a 250gig

and running an atix1600 pro 512mb video card

the only thing i can think of is our mother boards because i have a buddy of mine who installed it on his athlon xp 2400 but he had an fx motherboard with an nvidia chipset best thing we can do is contact asrock about it.

prdarkness, Sep 14, 2006
  9. revenge7

stu

Is this a known problem with the installer? I have the same issue. The installer copies everything, updates, reboots, and gets 75% on the second green bar 'Completing' or 'Configuring' or something, then freezes and the mouse is locked up. When I reboot, it says vista cannot start, an unexpected issue occurred during installation, re-install.

I also was installing to a secondary drive with no master, but this should work, maybe a vista installer fault?

thanks.

Update: I set it to master and still the same thing. Freezes with 'Completing Installation...' DVD verified fine in windows using Vdata. Any other Ideas?

Sys Specs:

Soyo Sy-k7V Dragon +

Athon XP 2133MHz

1GB DDR2100

Radeon 9600 Pro dual head 128MB

Maxtor 40GB HDD (For testing like this, all other hdds disabled for protection)

Via chipset USB root hub

Via chipset 10/100 ethernet

PCI USB2.0 controler + firewire controller

Built-in CMI8738 surround sound

Hauppauge WinTV 849 PCI tuner

Promise FastTrak100 motherboard raid (disabled in BIOS)

D-Link DFE-530TX+ PCI ethernet

stu, Sep 14, 2006
  10. revenge7

liquidkore

I had a similar issue while installing RC1 to a HP PTGD1-LA (Grouper) mainboard recently.

The installation would freeze shortly after the first set of green bars scrolled, and the green and blue background is loaded. Could see cursor, but wouldn't move.

My fix:

Update to latest BIOS version, using AMIFLASH.EXE and 308.rom

Instalation now works appropriately.

liquidkore, Sep 15, 2006
  11. revenge7

prdarkness

well asrock are not helping at all.... i went to there site last night and sent them a message about the problem and here is the response.<DIV>"Dear ASRock Costumer,</DIV><DIV>The ASrock mainboard does not passed the vista requirement to install this OS.</DIV><DIV>please visit ASRock website and verify all mainboard certified for VISTA.</DIV><DIV>ASRock does not have driver for the model nor BIOS update ,since ASRock knows this model is not recommended for this OS."</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>my board is a K7S8XE now what pisses me off is that they say that since the model is not recommended there not going to release any bios or updates. </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>errrrrrrrrrrrrrr lol i am so pissed.</DIV>

prdarkness, Sep 15, 2006
  12. revenge7

bg8ball2

My install on a single partitioned HD went seamlessly...

I did however have the same lockup issue (at the same place) after rebooting and found out that it was all because of my Bluetooth USB Dongle.

Have you guys tryed removing all perf's and rebooting or reinstalling...

It could be because of hardware...I would reccomend removing all non-essential hardware (maybe even your NIC) and see what happens...

The Motherboard BIOS Update would be a good idea too...(can't hurt anything)

Good luck!!!

bg8ball2, Sep 16, 2006
  13. revenge7

stu

I have little doubt that it's due to my combination of add-in cards, but those cards are essential. Hopefully microsoft will get these bugs out.

It's one thing for an unsupported card to not work or have drivers, it's another to have Vistas PNP subsystem choke every time it encounters it!

stu, Sep 16, 2006
  14. revenge7

Bully

I had the same trouble, I found and this my be strange but it worked for me.

Go into motherboard bios anddisable the onboard1349 port, this stopped the lock up for me.

If you have any more trouble leave the 1394 port disabled, do the normal install process let it copy the files and then gather them and expand them, when your pc does it's first restart after expanding files on reboot hit F8 and select to boot in safe mode it will boot and scroll a list of files and drivers vista is loading and then it will stop and stay at this screen, it will continue to install vista so just leave it, it will take a while so don't be tempted to reset or turn ya pc off it will get there. This worked for me every time.

Hope this helps.

Bully, Sep 21, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question