Vista RAM Problem, now with 8 Gigs

Discussion in 'Performance & Tweaks' started by zaZ00M, Sep 21, 2008.

1. zaZ00M

zaZ00M

Hi,

I recently purchased a new motherboard (P5Q-E) and some new RAM to go with it (2 Mushkin Ascent eXtreme Performance 2X2GB for a total of 8 gigabytes).

My BIOS recognizes that I have gigs. My system properties in Vista also state that I have 8 gigs.

Also interesting to note is that I believe both sets of RAM to be working fine. I put each set individually on the mobo and both booted fine and reported 3326 MB in task manager (BIOS and System Properties said 4--also, I had each set in different slots on the Mobo).

The problem now is that in task manager, my physical memory is still on 3326 MB, the exact same as before. It is reporting that 50% of my memory is used. I am highly puzzled by this. Any suggestions?

I am running Vista Ultimate 64 as well.

Thanks.

zaZ00M, Sep 21, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. zaZ00M

WAW8

Run MSConfig, look for a checkbox that defines the maximum memory. It was probably set to 4GB because that's what you started with. Change it to 8GB and you should be OK.

WAW8, Sep 23, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. zaZ00M

TheRealDeadApe

Are you 100% sure your running a 64 bit OS? With 4GB installed taskmanager recognizes 4093MB on my system. That 3300MB seems about right for the maximum useable ram on a 32 bit system.

TheRealDeadApe, Mar 20, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question