Vista Printer not sharing with Win2000

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by cleland500, Feb 16, 2007.

1. cleland500

cleland500

Sorry for the long title.

All computers are connected to wireless network at home. I've got a Vista machine I just bought with HP printer attached and sharing (at least everything on the computer says it is).I have a work provided laptop running Win2000, it will not find the printer to print. The last computer the printer was attached too was a WinXP machine and my Win2000 machine easily found the printer and was able to print.

I can see the public folders on my Vista machine through my work laptop and other folders I've shared. Even by searching the exact location on my Win2000 laptop it will not find the printer.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

cleland500, Feb 16, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. cleland500

Antrax

Try this....

Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.

ChooseAdd a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the \\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is basement and the printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty

Got the above from another guy with this problem, worth a try. :)

Antrax, Feb 16, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question