Vista Partitions

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by PaulW IOW, Feb 1, 2009.

1. PaulW IOW

PaulW IOW

On initial installation I created a second partition using the computer manage facility, This partition is used to store images, email, and other data which needs to be retained, I have used the same method for years using patition magic, on all other OS's with no problems.

However when I reinstalled vista I find the second partition has been deleted, is there anyway of recovering the data in the second partition? as I guess the space ocupied by the second partition has not been over written, or does vista just format the entire drive regardless of any partitions created.

PaulW IOW, Feb 1, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. PaulW IOW

WAW8

I've installed Vista on several machine, each with multiple partitions, and not seen it overwrite any existing partitions. Did you reinstall from DVD? Or did you use some kind of Recovery Disk? If you used the latter, they are designed to completely reformat the drive in the process.

As to data recovery, I've had very good success with GetDataBack from Runtime software. Last time I checked, it was around $50 -- but I used it to recover a reformatted NTFS partition and it found all the files.

There are other products as well, like Recovery My Files, but I haven't used them.

If you only have one partition now, every time you use the machine, it writes to it and your chances of recovery files fall off dramatically. If you can pull the drive and put it in another machine, I would do that as soon as possible.

WAW8, Feb 1, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. PaulW IOW

pdsnickles

Looks good but it costs $69 and $79 for the FAT and NTFS versions, respectively.

Know of anything similar that is cheaper?

I have a USB external drive that seems to have died but it's mostly mp3's and I can re-download them so I hate to pay that much money for recovery. I'd pay $40-50 tops. If anyone knows a program for that price that I can try for free, please let me know.

pdsnickles, Mar 26, 2009
  4. PaulW IOW

WAW8

I've read that there is a product known as PhotoRec, written primarily for Linux, that also has a Windows version. It's supposed to be able to find and recover deleted files.

And yeah, I know those products are expensive, but they do work -- and compared to the cost of the time spent trying to recover raw data, they're worth it.

WAW8, Mar 27, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question