Vista on Dells

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by HarveyDX, Nov 18, 2007.

1. HarveyDX

HarveyDX

Hey I am totally new here, and I thought someone here could help me.

I have a Dell Latitude that came with Vista Home Basic installed on it.. I later changed to Vista Business (that was the only one I could get legally)..Now my father also has a Dell (I don't remember what model though) and I told him he could have my Reinstall DVD and install the Vista Home Basic I had. I read somewhere about it that on Dells you could install Vista without codes or something but I want to be sure since my dad doesn't like illegal stuff. Now the way I see it, I don't use the Home Basic anymore so it wouldn't be illegal for him to install on his Dell right.. And should I give him the reinstall disc or give him the Business disc (I read that you could install all Vista versions from the same DVD, is that true?) I have the Home Basic key so the latter would be better right? thanks in advance

HarveyDX, Nov 18, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. HarveyDX

kingofnexus

I think the that as it was oem copy of vista that dell gave you, the activation code is locked to that computer. When your father goes to install it, the activation will fail. It might be a good idea to phone microsoft about the issue. By typing in 'slui 4' into the start menu and pressing enter, a screen of activation phone numbners come up. Although these are for activation problems, it probably more appropriate to phone them as the question is really an activation issue.

kingofnexus, Nov 19, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. HarveyDX

HarveyDX

hmm owk I'll try that..and how long is the trial for vista?

HarveyDX, Nov 20, 2007
  4. HarveyDX

WAW8

The reason you can install Vista on Dells "without codes" is that the Dell version is pre-activated. It uses something known as SLIC table activation, meaning that the activation is embedded into the BIOS on the motherboard, thus, it is motherboard-specific and BIOS version-specific. In theory, this allows you to change out everything on your system except for the mobo and your activation will still be good. This is the standard approach MS has established with large-scale system builders.

Of course, if you have a recovery DVD, you could TRY installing it on another Dell -- and if they have the same mobo and BIOS version, it might actually work. But there are no guarantees and if it doesn't work, there's no simple workaround.

WAW8, Nov 20, 2007
  5. HarveyDX

HarveyDX

hmhm ok i get it better now...well...I have a laptop and my dad a desktop so I don't think that will work...so like basicly if i call microsoft and uh do what kingofnexus said...it might be possible then?

HarveyDX, Nov 23, 2007
  6. HarveyDX

WAW8

MS is not going to provide you a key for the version licensed to Dell -- its an OEM license and it can only be used on the original machine. Those are the terms of OEM licenses, period. MS will want you to buy a new copy.

By the same token, Dell is not going to help you. Dell won't sell you a copy of Vista, they will want you to buy a new machine from them.

So, the simple situation is that either a migration will work or it will not. Given the BIOS-locking scheme that Dell and others uses, it's most likely it will not work. In that case, a full retail version MIGHT work on the second machine, but given that Dells all have custom-built BIOS's, there's the possibility that might also NOT work.

WAW8, Nov 26, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question