Vista NTFS hidden partition?

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by bhoth, Dec 26, 2007.

1. bhoth

bhoth

Hi All,

I have a 40GB Maxtor IDE drive in an external hard drive enclosure (USB 2.0)that was formatted as an NTFS partition in Vista.

Today I removed it from the external hard drive enclosure to put in an older computer for my kids. The plan is to install windows XP on it. The problem is the XP setup only sees the drive as a little over 32 GB in size. I am missing between 5-6GB in size now that Ihave used it in Vista.

I even put the drive back in the enclosure conected it back to Vista and removed the partition that I saw (it shows the size as a little over 37GB) , leaving it blank, then put it back in the old computer and started over with the XP install. The same thing happens, it still shows a little over 32 GB.

Any ideas?

thanks

bhoth, Dec 26, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. bhoth

kingofnexus

Put the drive back into the vist computer, open partition manager (start menu> right click 'computer'>'manage'>'disk management') and delete any extra partitions it has on the drive, then on the remaining single partition, right click it and choose 'extend' so that it extends the partition to fill the remaining space. Bare in mind that when you buy a 40GB drive, its GB is measured in decimal base 10, not binary base 2 like computers use. So basically its a big con by the harddrive companies which are advertising sizes bigger than the actual size of the hdd.

kingofnexus, Dec 27, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. bhoth

bhoth

Okay, now it shows as 31.5 GB in Vista too. There are no partitions shown.

It's like I have lost about 6-7GB. Yesterday it showed over 37GB.

Any ideas now?

bhoth, Dec 27, 2007
  4. bhoth

WAW8

Have you checked the jumpers on the drive? There is often a jumper setting that limits the drive to 32GB. It's easy to confuse that setting with the Primary/Slave jumper settings in that sometimes, the directions printed on the drive lable are unclear.

You won't be able to use the entire drive because Windows wants about 8MB of the first part of the drive, but you shouldn't be losing 8GB of the space.

WAW8, Dec 30, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question