Vista not reading files in folders, not transferring files by cut/paste

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Ditas, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Ditas

Ditas

I'm completely baffled by whats going on, vista seems to selectively deny me access to files in some of my folders; particularly the ones i've recently unzipped- then, i cannot extract files into certain folders, or transfer; as soon as i start, the bar goes red, and i'm lost as to what to do other than cancel the process

any info on this? as much as i enjoy the indexing feature, this is a really bad problem, and i might have to go back to XP

Ditas, Jun 9, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Ditas

kingofnexus

Sounds like a serious issue. This issue is NOT standard to vista, so theres no point downgrading to XP, at worst you can simply reinstall vista.

What error message pops up?

Check that the file paths including names aren't too long. A file name + path cannot exceed 64 characters. Downloaded zips can sometimes create uber long file names which exceed this 64 character limit and cause an error during extraction, or relocation to a different file path.

Check the registry for errors using an elevated command prompt:

sfc /scannow

Also, check that the hard drive isn't the problem or that new files aren't corrupted. First open the files that wont move to check they are intact. Next put in a usb flash drive or equivelent, and try to move files around on the flash drive. Try to extract a folder within the flash drive to another point on the flash drive. It it works, then its not vista thats the problem.

kingofnexus, Jun 9, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question