Vista not capable of copying large folders??

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Jason, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Jason

Jason

Anyone else experience the incapability of Vista to copy & paste large folders. Any folder of 10GB plus, it just seems to say "preparing to copy" then die and just do nothing. We tried transferring 60GB of files in a folder and Vista was unable, along w/ just a sole 10GB folder. The only way it could be done was using dos..

Anyone else?

Jason, Mar 21, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Jason

spankymasterc

mine works well what kind of harddrive do u have i have a Sata Drive 250gigs and its sata2 so it transfers at 250kb/s

spankymasterc, Mar 21, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Jason

jdonner

What has that to do with finding a solution?

No, Jason, I don't have that problem. It might help if you're more detailed about your computer, your hard- and software specs. Did you try closing all open programs, also those in the system bar and additional services? Have you checked your event logs?

jdonner, Mar 23, 2007
  4. Jason

Crispy

How much ram do you have? Also, try changing the the virtual memory settings to a higher number.

Crispy, Mar 23, 2007
  5. Jason

spankymasterc

He did not ask for help did he, he asked anyone else and so i replied that mine worked if i would have seen can anyone help me because blah blah blah then i would happily replied u douche

spankymasterc, Mar 27, 2007
  6. Jason

WAW8

Jason:

You posted this a week ago, so maybe you've found some answers since then, but I have two things to add.

First, I've noticed that Vista is slower at transferring files, especially across the network. I just chalked it up to Vista being slower at everything. I also switched network devices because the slowdown was real bad using the Nvidia LAN.

Second, I've seen some forum traffic elsewhere recently about a now "known" problem in Vista with file copying hanging. MS has claimed to fix this but they won't push out the solution through Updates.

Sorry, can't find the forum right now, but it is a bug that MS acknowledges.

WAW8, Mar 28, 2007
  7. Jason

cyclic

Not sure were this applies to copying large or any size files when the drive(s) if correctly configured will used the DMA controller and its own onboard cache. Anyway as already pointed out is a known issue with Vista which MS are striving to fix.

cyclic, Mar 28, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question