Vista no longer plays DVD

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by nicthemighty, Mar 3, 2008.

1. nicthemighty

nicthemighty

Just upgraded from a 7300se to a 8600gts, and now I can't play DVDs. I've changed from a vga to a dvi connection, so I don't know if HDCP has kicked in?

Whenever I try to play a DVD I get an error message "There is a problem with copy protection between your graphics card and computer" or something like that...

VLC plays DVDs, but nothing that uses the Vista decoder (or any other decoder pack I try to install).

Help?

nicthemighty, Mar 3, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. nicthemighty

WAW8

Are you trying to use an open source player (VLC) to avoid DRM? Not being critical; just curious.

Have you tried Windows Media Player? If so, does it give you a DRM-related error?

A possibility is that VLC, being a pre-Vista application, is trying to write something (maybe a config file or log file) to "Program Files" -- which is protected by that new Vista creation, UAC. If it's incompatible with UAC, it will either fail silently, or it will spit out some kind of weird error message.

To get around the UAC problem, try running VLC in compatibility mode and check Run as Administrator.

WAW8, Mar 4, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. nicthemighty

nicthemighty

If I try to play a DVD in Media Player Classic, Media Player, or Media Centre, I recieve the C00D1163 error:

"Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card."

I am trying to play store bought DVDs, nothing illegal. The only reason I use VLC is because it is the only player that will play DVDs for me.

I think it may be drm related though; my 8600gts has HDCP, whereas my 7300se didn't - and the latter played DVDs without any problem.

So is there any way to fix this so I can play DVDs without using VLC?

nicthemighty, Mar 5, 2008
  4. nicthemighty

WAW8

WAW8, Mar 5, 2008
  5. nicthemighty

WAW8

WAW8, Mar 6, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question