Vista Media Centre problem

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Billybonkas, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Billybonkas

Billybonkas

I have just bought Vista OEM.

I bought a phat new PC core2duo, 8800 gtx etcetc

I bought cable TV

I bought an AV to composite converter

I bought a Hauppage PVR 150

I plugged it all up

I opened Vista Media Centre

I detected my set top box signal, through composite input01

I could watch and hear the cable channels in mini view on media centre during setup.

I could change channels using my set top box remote, and the channel i could see through media centre would change accordingly.

SO FAR SO GOOD EH - READ ON!

BUT I DONT HAVE A WINDOWS MEDIA CENTRE REMOTE CONTROL, SO I CANNOT COMPLETE MY SETUP!LMFAO WHAT A JOKE

This is absolutely pathetic from Microsoft. It seems you must require a special MCE remote control and IR receiver. This is so that Media Centre can take over and control your set top box. It needs to take over and control the set top box because thats generally what Microsoft like to do. If you dont give it full control , it wont let you play. I cannotunderstand why VISTA MCE wont simply allow me to watch and listen to my cable TV, whilst changing channels with my original set top box remote????!?!?!??!

Does anyone have any ideas? Please reply soon as i will be selling my un-activated Vista to the highest bidder, moving back to Linux, and bad mouthing Microsoft again.

Billybonkas, Feb 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Billybonkas

blackhat

do you actually get a message that you need a remote?

never had any problems with my PVR-150

maybe you should try it with an keyboard

blackhat, Feb 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Billybonkas

kingofnexus

Ok that screen just says it cannot detect your hauppuage remote. Just hit next or finish. You can watch TV all you want, jsut not using the hauppauge remote to control MCE. This shouldn't be a problem as you are using your set top box remote anyway.

A screenshot would be nice to confirm your looking at the screen i'm thinking of.

Also further help from hauppauge staff can be found at: http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/pages/forum.html

kingofnexus, Feb 23, 2007
  4. Billybonkas

Billybonkas

having a bit of difficulty posting the screenshot! ive had a few to drink already

basically i go to MCE > settings > setup TV signal > confirm region > tv setup options NO > manually configure > cable > do you have a set top box YES > select a working TV signal COMPOSITE VIDEO 1 (here is where i see a little mini window of the channel currently on my STB > IR hardware Not detected!

here i can try again, cancel, or go back.

it says : windows media centre cannot detect your IR receiver (well maybe its because i dont have one). Make sure your IR receiver is connected and the select Try again (I dont have one!)

screenie is coming! just figuring it out! bear with me the noob

5. Billybonkas

Billybonkas

here is the screenshot, but im not sure it you can see it!?!?

[​IMG]

6. Billybonkas

Billybonkas

ok i thinkthe screenshot isworking... as you can see the select working TV signal is displaying my cable tv in the little mini window.

then the next screen says

"hahah you dont have a IR receiver, suffer suffer suffer im not gonna let you watch tv tonite ahahahahaha microsoft"

try again (no point i dont have an IR receiver)

cancel (all changes will not be saved - NO TV for meh!)

back (choose tv signal again)

WHY CANT I SKIP THE BLASTED IR RECEIVER!?!?! i dont understand why i need one?!

7. Billybonkas

kingofnexus

I see your problem, that sucks some serious butt. Obviously an oversight by M$ while making Media Center. I would takes a look myself, but my media center crashes the moment i select 'Set Up TV Signal' hopefully someone else can help you. Ive got to repair my vista installation :(

kingofnexus, Feb 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question