Vista locks up....

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by bluesugar, Feb 1, 2007.

1. bluesugar

bluesugar

Hey guys, my problem is as follows:

Two nights ago I installed Vista. I then went about over clocking my cpu within my BIOS and booted up. Vista wouldn't boot up, so I got nervous and killed the power. When I turned my pc back on and tried to boot up the OS, I got "NTLDR missing". I decided to try and repair Vista with my dvd, but it didn't work. Fine.

So I formatted my hard drive again and did a fresh install of Vista. Everything worked fine for about half an hour or so.

Now, it seems every time I try to install from a download, my PC freezes up. No mouse movement, ctrl+alt+delete doesn't do anything, so I do a hard reboot and go into safe mode. Everything seems to be fine in safe mode, so I install the program again. Once the program is done installing, I restart.

About every other time I try to install something (the last time was from within the windows security system window: it showed that I needed antivirus and malware protection, so I clicked find a program, windows live one care, then download free trial, then download and install) it locks up again.

It is obviously a little frustrating and scary wondering when it's going to lock up next. I am putting off installing my 17 gig game Vanguard: Saga of Heroes for this reason. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know that I am taking risks by running a new OS within the first few days of release, but I enjoy being in beta for things to help squish bugs. But if I can't resolve my problem I am concerned I will have to install XP again just to have a working OS.

BTW, is this the official forums for Vista? I could'nt find anything else beside this that looked like it was.

bluesugar, Feb 1, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. bluesugar

bluesugar

One other thing- I have the newest bios version for my motherboard (p24 that provides vista whql support) andlatest video card driver for vista. I have my X-FI sound card installed but not activated as forums research has shown that my card is not fully supported by Vista, so i am using my onborad sound

bluesugar, Feb 1, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. bluesugar

Jason

It's hard to say exactly. Could be a lot of things. Here is what I think is happening: Vista figures out your cpu speed while installing and uses this value for other calculations, since you changed the cpu speed w/ out telling vista it is miscalculating something therfore causing the freeze. I suggest you either not overclock anymore, get a program made for overclocking which you can run within vista, or dual boot both xp and vista by partitioning your hard drive into 2 and installing xp then vista on the other partition.

Jason, Feb 1, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question