Vista Locks up Randomly

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by joe_mama81, Feb 25, 2008.

1. joe_mama81

joe_mama81

OKay I just upgraded my computer to Vista last Friday, I installed an 8800GT video card, 4gb of memory, and windows vista home premium. Ever since I have been having an issue of my computer just freezing up. The only way to resolve that when it happens is turning off the power.

Here are things I checked so far... all drivers are updated. I put back in my old memory, still did the same thing. I also have checked temps on the new vid card which is running steady at about 45C. These were the things i knew to check but other then that I am still stumped.

So to explain a little more, the computer just freezes or stops working, usually does not happen when idleing on the desktop. It has happened during program installs numerous times, while playing a game, or just surfing the internet.

Does anyone have any clue what might be causing this, I am so ready to just go back to xp, but since I am a gamer I would like to get this fixed so I have dx10.

I appreciate the help and if you need any other info just ask away.

Thanks,

Joe

joe_mama81, Feb 25, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. joe_mama81

joe_mama81

I will add some more info to this. I used the Home Premium upgrade edition, but this is what I did... I reformatted my whole computer using the xp cd and then updated xp with all the latest updates, and then i did the upgrade. The only driver I installed in xp was the network driver and then I reinstalled the vista driver for that right away.

Don't know if you needed this info or not...

joe_mama81, Feb 25, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. joe_mama81

MrMagic

Basically, I did my very install of Vista the same way, used an XP CD to reformat and did a clean install. Have done this on two boxes so far and no issues close to what you are describing.

Since you're getting no error messages its gonna bit a bit rough to figure out. The only thing I can suggest without knowing more about your system is the possibility of a BIOS upgrade. Describe your machine in a bit more detail and perhaps we can come up with some more constructive ideas than just trying a BIOS upgrade.

Steve

MrMagic, Feb 25, 2008
  4. joe_mama81

WAW8

If it's 32-bit Vista, it will not be able to use the whole 4GB of memory. Some machines just can't handle 4GB of memory, especially if that requires four sticks. So, the first things I would try is using less memory, and running memory tests to confirm that none of the sticks are bad.

When the machine works fine on idle, but then crashes during use, that is generally a problem with a specific application, or if it crashes regardless of what you're running, can related to heat.

Are you able to monitor the CPU temp? The various mobo manufactures have various products that allow you to do that, and SpeedFan is a freeware product that will do the same.

WAW8, Feb 25, 2008
  5. joe_mama81

joe_mama81

Yeah no problem here is my system info...

Windowns Vista Home Premium
    eVGA 8800GT Superclocked Edition
    650Watt Apevia power Supply
    4gb of PC6400 memory
    <SPAN class=title-01>M2N32-SLI Deluxe/Wireless Edition </SPAN>motherboard(here is a link http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&amp;l2=101&amp;l3=300&amp;l4=0&amp;model=1163&amp;modelmenu=1)
    No soundcard, just running onboard
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200

Now if you guys are thinking a bios update which should I use and how do I do it? I have never flashed my bios before...

joe_mama81, Feb 25, 2008
  6. joe_mama81

WAW8

You didn't say if it's the 32-bit or the 64-bit version of Home Premium.

I'm running an ASUS A832-SLI Deluxe, and while that is an "older" board, I didn't find out until I went to the ASUS forums the limitations of what using 4GB of memory imposes on using the board.

The easiest way I find to flash the BIOS on my ASUS is to use the EZ-Upgrade option (or, something like that). It's built into the Mobo, and you activate it by pressing a keyn combo when you boot. You download and copy the new BIOS to a diskette. When you insert this diskette, the ASUS routine lets you save off the current BIOS and flash the BIOS using the file you downloaded.

Check your mobo manual -- there's probably something much like this documented in there.

WAW8, Feb 25, 2008
  7. joe_mama81

joe_mama81

As for the memory I actually went down to just running with 2gb and then 3gb and it still did the same thing. I had a friend run a memory test on my computer and nothing showed up bad.

As for the temps, it was probably the first thing I checked and my processor was running at 35C and my motherboard was running at 32C. I also checked my vid card temp its running steady at 48C under a heavy load it gets to about 52-53C.

I was thinking about going back to XP and seeing if I get the same problem, but I don't want to have to do that if I don't need to.

Joe

joe_mama81, Feb 25, 2008
  8. joe_mama81

joe_mama81

Yeah sorry its the 32bit version. I always heard that with the 32bit version you can't use anything over 4gb... I know when I am using 4gb it recognizes 3.5.

Also I don't have a disk drive all I have is a dvd-rom drive... is there anyway to flash it using a diff way?

joe_mama81, Feb 25, 2008
  9. joe_mama81

WAW8

You have a couple of flash options.

One would be to buy and external USB-linked diskette drive. The advantage of doing that is that you can save the current BIOS to diskette and, should the flash fail or the new BIOS cause problems, you have a working BIOS to go back to.

But, ASUS has a utility that runs inside Windows that also allows you to flash the BIOS. I think it's called ASUS update, and it's one of the utilities that comes on the ASUS CD. It allows you to save a copy of the BIOS to the hard drive -- which I would do before flashing it. Also, would advise that you don't upgrade ONLINE -- even though the utility will let you do that. Why? Because if the internet connection drops during the upgrade, you end up with a nonworking BIOS. Instead, download the BIOS update, and flash OFFLINE using ASUS update. I've done this several times and it works fine.

As to the temps, those are quite low. So, I don't see a thermal problem.

WAW8, Feb 25, 2008
  10. joe_mama81

joe_mama81

Do you have a recomedation as to which bios to use... probably the most current one?

joe_mama81, Feb 25, 2008
  11. joe_mama81

WAW8

WAW8, Feb 25, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question