Vista Laptop Keyboard Lag

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Omnivor, May 7, 2007.

1. Omnivor

Omnivor

I recently purchased 2 Vista laptops (Toshiba Satellite A135-S4467 and Sony VAIO FE890N/H) and I notice a little lag in keyboard input, especially in games. Basically, there's some time between when I punch the keys to when the computer responds. It's a really short delay, maybe roughly .25 seconds, so not really something you can measure. The lag happens in applications like MS Word as well, though obviously, timing isn't that important while typing documents. It doesn't appear to be a buffer problem as all typed keys do appear, it's just that there's a little lag that would be nothing more than a minor annoyance in anything other than games where timing is important. In fact, if I didn't use the laptop to play games, I may not have noticed the problem at all. I've tried editing the PollStatusIterations value to 1 in the registry, updating drivers (didn't actually update any as they appear to be up-to-date) and shutting down as many vendor-installed/useless processes/services as possible, but nothing seems to help. Any ideas?

I've owned several Sony VAIO laptops before (running Windows ME and Windows XP) and never had this lag before.

Thanks.

Omnivor, May 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Omnivor

Jason

More RAM should fix this problem, most keyboard input gets slowed because of lack of cpu processing power. Added memory should help free up thrashing thus increasing input time.

Jason, May 8, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Omnivor

Omnivor

Thanks for the response.

The Toshiba only has 1 gig of RAM, which I understand may not be enough for Vista, but the Sony one has 2 gigs. 2 gigs isn't exactly top-end, but shouldn't it be sufficient to run basic programs like MS Word? It was the only application running at the time, and this was after I closed off a lot of useless processes/services. The Toshiba and Sony both have Core 2 Duo processors (1.6 and 1.66 GHz, respectively), which, like the RAM, isn't top-end, but not weak enough to cause slowdown in basic keyboard input, right?

Omnivor, May 8, 2007
  4. Omnivor

Quiksilver

This laptop has ahem... 512mb ram :(

No keyboard lag here tho.... Id say if you have 2gb that should be enough.

Quiksilver, May 8, 2007
  5. Omnivor

Omnivor

Yeah, I would assume that 2 GB is enough RAM to run most stuff. One of the issues with this is that depending on what you do with your laptop, this lag may not seem apparent at all and like I mentioned earlier, I probably wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't used it to play games. Now that I think about it, "slow keyboard input" is a much better way to describe the problem.

Omnivor, May 8, 2007
  6. Omnivor

Quiksilver

I played Unreal Tournament on here, no problems whatsoever.

Quiksilver, May 8, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question