Vista is spontaneously restarting on a daily basis

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Keldryn, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Keldryn

Keldryn

Hello,

Something's not right with my Vista installation, or my computer... It's spontaneously restarting very frequently, at least once a day. Sometimes it happens when I'm doing something, but it will often do it when I'm not even home or at some point during the night.

My administrative events log is getting anywhere from 8 to about 20 errors per day.

Many of them are just this:

This one is coming up every day now:

I'm also getting chains like this happening every couple of days:

It`s often happening for these services too, although it`s not exactly the same set of services terminating every time a chain like this happens:

Portable Device Enumerator Service

Desktop Window Manager Session Manager

Superfetch

Program Compatibility Assistant Service

Network Connections

Human Interface Device Access

ReadyBoost

Windows Audio Endpoint Builder

Windows Defender

However, there is often nothing in the event log for 8-12 hours or more and then it suddenly shuts down in the middle of the night.

My system specs are:

AMD Athlon XP 2600+

ABit NF7-S (nForce 2) Motherboard

1024MB RAM

Radeon 9600 XT 128 MB (not manufactured by ATI)

Seagate ST312002 300 GB SATA Drive

Seagate ST332062 120 GB SATA Drive

D-Link Wireless PCI (DWL-520, I think)

Enermax Power Supply (450W, I think, just replaced 1.5 years ago)

I`ve tried running with the default Vista drivers for the Radeon 9600, and with the most recent (and second-most-recent) drivers provided by ATI, and the only difference I see is that the `R300`events weren`t showing up in the event log before I uninstalled the drivers. But it`s just as unstable either way.

Any suggestions would be most helpful!

It may be relevant to note that I had a miserable time a year and a half ago when I upgraded my old GeForce2 card to the Radeon 9600XT. It was supposed to be a cheap upgrade (about $100 CAD), but my system was incredibly unstable after the upgrade. In the process of pulling cards in and out and swapping power supplies, I ended up blowing my ASUS nForce2 board and had to replace it with the ABit one. And I got a new 450W power supply since my old one was 250 or 300 and was a few years old. My system was stable after that -- but only using older Omega drivers (based on Catalyst 4.x I think) for the Radeon card. All of the official Catalyst drivers versions 6.x and above were very unstable, and I think the 5.x ones were too. Wish I`d spent a bit more money and just bought a GeForce 6600 or something instead. :)

Keldryn, Mar 13, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Keldryn

WAW8

Probably not what you wanted to hear ... but ...

I'm running an nForce4 AMD mobo with Vista and I had repeated failures and crashes until Nvidia finally produced a set of SATA drivers for Vista. I had assumed that, since I was using the Nvidia XP SATA drivers, Vista would load Nvidia Vista SATA drivers -- but it did not.

Suggest you check in with the nForcers-HQ forum (http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/). They have some nForce2 forums where you might find what others have done to make Vista work for them.

The news you probably don't want to hear is that Nvidia has not posted any nForce2 Vista drivers. My guess is that you're out of luck regarding running Vista reliably on an nForce2 chipset.

WAW8, Mar 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Keldryn

Keldryn

Arrrgh. I'll have a peek over at those forums you recommended. Unfortunately it's not really just the motherboard because I can't really replace it with anything newer without replacing the CPU, RAM, and Video card (stupid AGP).

Thanks for the info though.

Keldryn, Mar 14, 2007
  4. Keldryn

Jason

Have you tired updating your motherboard BIOS? That tends to help some people.

Jason, Mar 14, 2007
  5. Keldryn

Keldryn

I looked on ABit's site before I posted here... the last update for this motherboard's BIOS was late 2004. I think I'm pretty much through with piecemeal upgrades though... next time I'm just getting a whole new system.

Keldryn, Mar 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question