Vista is not genuine?

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by mdw283, Nov 25, 2007.

1. mdw283

mdw283

When I tried to log on to Vista today, I was redirected to a window that

said "The Windows Vista Home Premium product key you typed is invalid for

activation" -- quite a surprise, considering that Vista had worked

near-perfectly for the 4 months that I've had my laptop, and that I've never

had to key in a product key before! When I chose the option to manually type

the product key, I received error message 0xCD004F050 with several warnings

that I might be the victim of counterfeit software (again, quite a

surprise!). I called the vendor's (Lenovo) customer support line, but the

representative told me that I needed to get in touch with Microsoft. I

called MS's customer support, but didn't want to pay a representative,

especially if the only solution is to purchase another version of Vista.

I contacted some folks on MS's discussion board, and they told me to type "%windir%\system32" into the address bar after I select "Access computer with reduced functionality," which only allows a lock-down browser setup. After this, I'm supposed to find cmd.exe, run it as administrator, and type 'net start slsvc.'

The problem is, once I type this is, I'm redirected to a Google search for "windir." I've booted in Safe Mode and tried to do a System Restore, but the program says that my hard drive is corrupted (or something along those lines) and needs to be cleaned (which it offers to do, but this will only work if I'm not in Safe Mode!).

Any and all help will be appreciated -- even if you can just tell me how to stop the Google search from popping up.

mdw283, Nov 25, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. mdw283

blackhat

look at the bottom of your laptop

[​IMG]

^ there should be something like this ^

try activating with that product key

if that doesn't work you have to call microsoft

they have to give you a new key if your copy was legit (and it's not installed on another pc)

blackhat, Nov 25, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. mdw283

WAW8

Sorry for the bad news, but if your Lenovo box came with Vista preinstalled, MS is not going to help you reactivate it; that's Lenovo's job -- it's their license!

Sure, MS will sell you another copy of Vista, but then you'll have the nightmare of having to reinstall Vista from scratch. Unless you have a CD with the device drivers, that's going to be a major problem.

Do you know for a fact that Vista had previously been activated? Or are you just presuming that?

WAW8, Nov 26, 2007
  4. mdw283

c0dec

Im not sure why %windir% doesnt work for you as its fine on my copy of Vista and goes to C:\Windows as it should do. If your not having any luck with %windir% just type in where your copy of windows is installed to, which is probably C:\Windows if you havnt touched it from the factory build.

If your just looking to runup a cmd box just type:

c:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe

or just "cmd" in the run box "Windows Key + R"

c0dec, Nov 29, 2007
  5. mdw283

cyclic

Of course it is just possible that MS Vista licensing servers have gone bums up again, they did it a few months back and what you are describing happened to hundreds of thoudands of legit. users.

It seems odd that after working just fine for 4 months and without any changes it should suddenly basically deactivate it requiring the number to be checked to come back with the 'invalid' reply........the only time I have experienced this was on a desktop I'd installed Vista on then used the 'rearm' command for the max 3 occasions then tried to activate it and got exactly the same message, after a bit of phoning and hair pulling it turned out it was marked as invalid because it was an upgrade copy and I'd done a clean install which I was aware of and also that I had toupgrade the exact same systemfrom the running Vista GUI with the same disk (now what a complete waste of time that is), fortunately i immediately did just that and within an hour had an activated Vista. But I am assuming yours came OEM preinstalled (al least partially) and you didn't need to activate it in the first place.

I do agree though that the problem lies with the supplier and not MS I wonder if they have inadvertantly supplied you with an upgrade number or something equally as silly.

cyclic, Nov 29, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question