Vista installation hangs during Product Key

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by mjthomas, Aug 24, 2007.

1. mjthomas

mjthomas

I purchased a new hard drive (EIDE)and was installing Windows Vista from scratch. I formatted my hard drive, and started the install. However, as the programis installing, it hangs right after I enter my product key. I KNOW the key is valid as I purchased it from Fry's Electronics. I have tried everything I can think of, to inlcude reformatting the hard drive and starting over again, all to no avail.

PLEASE HELP!!!

mjthomas, Aug 24, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. mjthomas

AmericanNightmare

One of my copies of Home Basic hangs right at the beginning of the installafter selecting install now i get the hour glass/please wait then nothing. It will sit there for hours unless i take the disk out then reinsert it then after a few seconds of seeking the installation continues as normal.

You could also try not entering the product key during the initial installthen re-installing from within Vista and entering your key at that time. (Basically upgrading an existing copy of Vista)

AmericanNightmare, Aug 24, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. mjthomas

mjthomas

I tried that (without the product key) and it still hangs. I checked all of my cables inside, and reset my memory, all to no avail. I even replacedthe data cables for the hard drives. This is unreal. I have built so many computers in the last ten years, but I have never had this problem.

mjthomas, Aug 25, 2007
  4. mjthomas

AmericanNightmare

Cold you be more specific as to your HW config. possibly it's an issue specific to a certain component? Any specific component you have not dealt with in the past? I know it's a long shot.......

AmericanNightmare, Aug 25, 2007
  5. mjthomas

WAW8

I've personally found that the Vista upgrade advisor has been a complete waste of time. I had to do a LOT of post-installation updating to get my box to work -- even though the advisor told me I would have no problems.

I've seen reports that removing all USB devices, rebooting, and then installing Vista is a workaround to this problem. Had to do with obsolete device drivers for the connected USB devices.

WAW8, Aug 27, 2007
  6. mjthomas

AmericanNightmare

Indeed, I ignore it's nonsense and try anyway to rely on my own comon sense in that matter.

AmericanNightmare, Aug 27, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question