Vista Install problems

Discussion in 'Sidebar & GUI Customization' started by Richard C Dumas, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Richard C Dumas

Richard C Dumas

Computer Consultant Richard C.Dumas says

For several days I have been testing The new Windows Vista Beta software package on my brand new HP Pavillion dv5020us laptop with 1.99GHz and 1022MG of RAM- AMD Turion 64 Mobile ML-37 3DNow 2.0GHz processor and ATI RADEON Xpress 200 series 128. MB Mem video - I had intended to use this Beta version for evaluation purposes until it is released to the public with a sched date of just after Jan for home versions however,

After only four days of use I have reverted back to Windows XP Pro for the following reasons- the file which is 3.5 GB took 2 hrs and 15 min on the first install as an UPGRADE install which means it saved my programs presently used. I found that there are more bugs in the program than Raid Roach Hotels- I suffered many crashes w/o reason and most of the software carried over corrupted so it wouldnt work properly or at all- therefore after fighting it for two solid days and nights I reinstalled it the second time . This time as a CLEAN install that automatically included a new folder created called WINDOWS OLD in which all my current programs and existing files were put into, inc the entire contents of the C Drive- This install took 1 hr and 25 min. However, virtually none of the internal hardware drivers were installed and therefore inoperative until I found a source for all of them and manually reinstalled them. Then I proceeded to reinstall the very few basic programs I was using before this second install. This whole proceedure took a total of MORE THAN 8 hours and still had some small items to fine tune- A major problem with this install also was that I had no use for anything they saved in that new OLD folder having completely backed up my system. The prob being that there was no way to get it to the trash bin or delete it. I seemed to be able to get rid of most of the files individually until the folder showed empty. However when I tried to get rid of the folder Windows kept showing that it was trying to empty out almost 7GB from an EMPTY folder. After waiting several minutes for this ODOMETER to keep clicking away, I also got an error mesa that I didnt have PERMISSION to do this despite the fact I am and ADMINISTRATOR. If that isnt confusing enough every single move or change you make goes into a new folder called Recent Changes . The result is that somehow all those 7000 files I thought I had deleted were somewhere still in limbo causing my HD to show 40GB of used space with the identical previously installed stuff under XP showing 16GB. I never did figure out how to get rid of that extra almost 40GB on the HD.
    The Vista program uses entirely new and unfamiliar ICONS which takes some time to get used to-- The familiar "Run" command found in the "Start" part used by so many advanced users was no longer to be found there and w/o documentation to tell me otherwise took almost two days to find in under TASK MANAGER which also had had some changes made to its pop up window- Task Mg is still accessed by Ctl-Alt-Del- after which a new wavy blue screen takes over the desktop and offers the viewer several choices-
    MY DOCUMENTS has now been replaced with simply DOCUMENTS which is also a little confusing due too the fact it contains some new catagories and a new face.

The process of refeshing upon opening each folder to see its contents is extremely slow while U wait for a new green bar to traverse across the whole top of the file folder similiar to the familiar sliding install bar on so many install programs, and if you have multiple files in seperate folders within the original folder you have to wait the whole thing out again each time it opens the more inner folders , something Windows XP did in almost an instant.

Most disappointing is the number of new software and drivers avail to run on Vista- espectally the new technology 64 bit version which are almost non existant, so I used the 32 more normal and universally used at present. After four days of nothing but pure struggle I determined that there are pr

Richard C Dumas, Jun 15, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. Richard C Dumas

Jason

Sorry that your experience was so bad. Hopefully these bugs will be fixed in later builds.

Jason, Jul 6, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. Richard C Dumas

letcha

ji DICK SORRY TO HEAR ALL OF THOSE FAMILIAR PROBLEMS BUT I AM GOING TO HELP YOU AND SHOW HOW TO HAVE FUN WITH VISTA AND ENJOY IT 1, I HAD SOME MINOR PROBLEMS AT FIRET BUT fine now and bitchin!!!! 2, I EIECTED TO PUFCHASE THE Ssoftware cd. it cost me 10.00 total microsoft sent it to me in two weeks 3, i deleted the whole file, formated disk it took aprox 40 minutes the installed clean copy and ever since then 7 2 06 it's been beautiful so much better then any xp have a few minor problems for me fewer then xp sometimes will freezes when it loads the desk top it evens includes nividia geforce 5200i installed ashampoo burning stuido5 for copying cd's and burning and no problems i bet you do it my way and that will solve yor problems ilove it and so will you please respond and VISTA FOR EVER by

letcha, Jul 9, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question