Vista Install (no SATA detected in setup but is in BIOS)

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by JayD, Oct 7, 2009.

1. JayD

JayD

Hi fellow Tekky's :)

Well Ive come to a bit of a problem on my sister's Acer M1640

it had Vista home premium on it 32bit

she had a key logger hack one of her game accounts not sure which but anyhow, the pc didn't come with and CD's so im wanting to put Ultimate 32bit on with a new Product key. As she wants to start fresh.

basically the original CD DVD/RW drive was 1st coming up with "your CD doesn't have the correct drivers" i was thinking well hows that work when its in device manager and u can boot this CD to get to this stage o_O.

so i put in a DVD/RW IDE drive booted from that... went in fine press enter to install F8 to agree to T+C's etc... then it says "where do you want to install windows Vista?"

there are no drives listed (The BIOS see's the drive) o_O

any ideas?

Ive tried with an XP disk too and nothing (both genuine Copy's of the OS's)

Also Ive tried looking for the AHCI and SATA selection in the BIOS but there is no option for this.

JayD, Oct 7, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. JayD

WAW8

The BIOS sees the drives because it is reading across the data bus; MS Windows has to use drivers to see the drives.

You will have to download SATA controller drivers for the machine from the Acer site, write those to some medium you can insert at install time, and when you go to install Vista, press F6 when it asks for drivers and have it load the SATA drivers. Until you do that, it will not see the hard drive connected through the SATA controller.

WAW8, Oct 8, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question