Vista Home Premium To XP

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by jlaney, Sep 22, 2007.

1. jlaney

jlaney

My Toshiba laptop, which is about a year old, came with Windows Vista: Home Premium Edition and I was wondering...Is there any way at all to get rid of Vista and put just XP on my PC? Like is there anything that I can do myself to get rid of it, could I try that thing where you can have both Vista and XP, or could I possibly somehow send my PC to Toshiba (which is the company who made my PC, but I didn't order it from) and have them remove Vista completely and replace it with XP?

jlaney, Sep 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. jlaney

cyclic

I would try creating a new partition and installing XP to it first, the problem with a lot of new 'vista' built laptops is that they use some critical components which dont have support in XP, or at least don't function as they should. If you try it as a dual boot first (XP wont pick up the Vista install you'll need to install 'BCDEDIT' or 'VISTA BOOT PRO' in order to add XP to Vista's configuration and boot menu, or over install Vista again after you've done XP) at least you'll know if you have all the functionality of the hardware before hacking Vista to death and ending up without any OS.

Don't forget you will loose any support for your machine and any warranty that's left, even if you bought extended cover will all be nullified if you do this. But hey it's your 'puter :)

cyclic, Sep 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. jlaney

Jason

Toshiba will probably give you the option to have a windows xp cd sent to you, I thought I remembered some computer company's doing this upon customer request. Either way you just need to get a Windows XP cd and reinstall it over the current vista installation on your laptop. It's cake.

Jason, Sep 24, 2007
  4. jlaney

jlaney

Would I have to pay for it and/or could I just download XP from somewhere and install it?

jlaney, Sep 24, 2007
  5. jlaney

Jason

I dont know if you would have to pay for it or not, you really need to just call them up and explain what you want and see. Technically you shouldnt have to pay for it but who knows.

And you will not be able to just download windows xp and install it, as that would require you to obtain an activation key illegaly.

Jason, Sep 24, 2007
  6. jlaney

AmericanNightmare

I would definitley call Toshiba and ask them if they'll provide an XP CD. Doing so will answer more than that though b/c they may tell you no for the simple fact that they don't make XP drivers for your laptop. As cyclic touched on this is happening quite a bit.

Iknowof more than few instances wherepeople who tried installing XP on thier "Vista" laptops only to end up with no OS at all due to lack of driver support.

AmericanNightmare, Sep 24, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question