Vista Home Premium Hangs on Shutdown, No Errors

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by tonymazz, Mar 20, 2008.

1. tonymazz

tonymazz

I have two A205 Toshibas loaded with Vista Home Premium in identical installtations.

Every once in while (random) the systems hang during shutdown. I select system shutdown, sidebar disappears, drives whirl then after several seconds....drives stop and system just sits there in a sort of half state.

Normal behavior (most of the time) system shuts down within 1 minute after selecting shutdown.....

I have NO idea why this does this....

Last nite I downloaded SP-1 all went fine.....rebooted all successful...I go to shut down 1...it works perfectly.....go to the second...it hangs hangs hangs...finally have to hit the power button after 5 minutes and repeated attempts to shut down.

Where do I start to diagnose this....BTW I have no errors, no other anomallies...just hangs on shutdown....

Any ideas where to start ?

tonymazz, Mar 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. tonymazz

WAW8

Well, you could look at the event log to see what is happening. We have a pinned post on how to do that.

Also, shutdown is when Windows installs updates. So, are you sure it's not installing updates and that's what's delaying the actual shutdown?

WAW8, Mar 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question