Vista Home Premium and Business N - Junctions

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by grumpy, Jan 29, 2008.

1. grumpy

grumpy

Howdy!

I have a (hopefully) small problem with a recently purchased laptop that has Windows Vista Home Premium on it.

I am running rdiff backup (Not that this makes a difference for the problem) on Windows that runs fine on Windows XP and Windows Vista Business N. But it doesn't run on Windows Vista Premium because of the junctions that exist in Vista. The difference is that in Vista Home Premium you can't follow the junctions but in Vista Business N you can. Meaning, in Windows Explorer running Vista Business N if you browse to a location with a junction (say \Documents and Settings) and click on it, it follows it to it's new location (\Users) where in Vista Home Premium, when you click "Documents and Settings" you get the "Permission/Access Denied Error" Anyone know why? Or better yet, how to fix it? Or is this just a difference between Business and Home?

I only have access to the laptop (Windows Vista Home Premium) and a copy of Windows Business N.

Thanks!

grumpy, Jan 29, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. grumpy

WAW8

Is this a Windows port of rdiff backup? I only know of it as a GNU/Linux utility.

If you're booting into Linux and running that version, I'm not surprised it doesn't work with Vista. I would suggest you look at Partimage or PING (PartImage is Not Ghost) as alternatives, which DO work with Vista.

As to "fixing" this -- don't know of any way to do that because it's not a "bug", it's a "feature". The new "junctions" in Vista is the Windows version of what we call Links in Linux. The actual directories are elsewhere. It's just that Vista won't let you open the Junction directly, and doesn't redirect you to the link target; instead, it just fails with silly permissions error messages. (Hey, I didn't design it; I just use it).

If rdiff continues to completion, look for your folders in their real location. If they are there, the backup is actually working.

WAW8, Jan 30, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. grumpy

grumpy

Thanks the reply.

I'm using rdiff from here although I have created my own script that calls the rdiff. So yes, I am using a port of rdiff native on Windows.

The question is really why can I follow the junctions (symbolic links) in Vista Business and not in Vista Home? If I solve that problem, rdiff will be happy.

Ideas?

Thanks!

grumpy, Jan 30, 2008
  4. grumpy

WAW8

Don't know why it works on Business but not on Home Premium. Don't use the "Home"versions -- Vista left too much out of them.

I'm surprised that a GNU/Linux port to XP (the files you pointed me to have March 2006 dates, so this most probably was NOT written for Vista), even works at all in Vista. Have you tried running the program in Compatibility Mode?

WAW8, Jan 30, 2008
  5. grumpy

grumpy

Hey!

The rdiff backup script I have written runs fine in Vista Business. It doesn't run in Vista Home because it can't follow the junctions and can't handle the error that it gets when it hits them(so it just crashes).

So, yes it is a limitation in rdiff, but the solution is to figure out how to get junctions in Vista Home working so that you can browse them in Windows Explorer without getting a permission denied error.

As for running it in compatibility mode, it doesn't help and that's not the problem.

Thanks!

FYI, not that this matters, rdiff is running on the windows box (client) and connecting via SSH back to a FreeBSD server. So it's not running rdiff on Windows to a Windows server. It's only pushing from Windows to FreeBSD(could be any Linux/Unix/BSD distro).

grumpy, Jan 30, 2008
  6. grumpy

WAW8

You don't have to shout! I understand your problem. I was hoping that compatability mode would help, but apparently, it does not.

Have you tried designating exceptions so that rdiff ignores the "junctions"? Linux-based backup stuff typically provides for a .conf file that allows for designation of exceptions. Don't know about rdiff, though. If there is a way to put the "junctions" into such a file so that at least, rdiff doesn't try to copy them, it might not then crash.

As to why "junctions" behave differently in the Vista versions, I have no idea.

WAW8, Jan 31, 2008
  7. grumpy

grumpy

Sorry to shout. I didn't mean to come accross like that.

Good suggestion about the designating exceptions. I checked and there aren't any conf files to configure.

Are you able to follow junctions with Vista Ultimate? I'd assume that you can, but I'm not sure as I don't have a copy to test with.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

grumpy, Jan 31, 2008
  8. grumpy

grumpy

I'm going to need to install Vista Business again. Everywhere I read it doesn't sound like anyone can follow these functions with Home, Business or Ultimate.

Perhaps I was on crack that day...

Ugh!

grumpy, Jan 31, 2008
  9. grumpy

WAW8

WAW8, Feb 1, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question