Vista Home Premium 64-Bit 8GB RAM Problem

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by taylorhoward, Apr 30, 2009.

1. taylorhoward

taylorhoward

I have built a computer with the following specifications:

•Asus P5Q Motherboard

•Intel Q9400 CPU

•Kingston 2GB x 4 800MHz DDR2

•XFX NVidia 9400 GT 1GB DDR2

•Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit

•Thermltake XP550 430W Power Supply

I had problems installing Vista with 8GB of RAM installed so after searching through Google found that it was recommended I remove some. I found that having in only 1 stick worked the best. Once I had finished installing vista I then put in all 8GB however this didn't work. The computer will turn on; show the motherboard graphic then reboot. It then displays the accidental restart thing where it asks how you want to start windows: Normal, Last known good configuration, etc. If you press normal it then either displays the blue screen and then restarts and the process repeats or it doesn’t display the blue screen and the process repeats. The system works successfully with 2GB, 4GB or 6GB of memory but not 8GB. I looked on the memory manufacturer’s website and it says the memory and motherboard are compatible. The motherboard supports up to 16GB. I have tried various combinations of sticks to make up 6GB and in various slots thus determining it isn't a faulty stick or a faulty slot. Why is this happening? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated thanks.

taylorhoward, Apr 30, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. taylorhoward

WAW8

If you can boot into safe mode, select the memory test option to make sure all of the memory sticks are OK.

WAW8, May 1, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question