Vista home premium 32-tried to change C:/users/{myname}

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by SicBoay, Mar 18, 2008.

1. SicBoay

SicBoay

I recently bought this dell with vista home premium,it seems to work pretty well,ive had minor little problems,but worked my way around them..somehow,cause im kinda of a noob, but anyways when i first got it i used a user name (a),then later on, i wanted to change this from c:/users/(a) to b,it didn't let me just rename(a),so i looked around for info and found someone with the same problem,so i tried to make a new folder and named it b,then moved most of the files(downloads,pictures,music,etc.),although it would not let me move the hidden aapdata one,so next i tried to delete this (a) user, it only went so far, then couldn't seem to delete it...i also tried mess'n around in the regedit,i changed the some user names from a to b,user name and user profile i think, but now after all this tampering, my mozilla firefox doesn't work,although my E.I does(ha),and the little thing that bugs me the most is, Now the start menu picture always goes back to that darn flower! Any pics that i have and try to apply in user account,shows up to be blank(white),then when i exit,and check the start menu..Its the FLOWER..so now ive opened another user account (c),which i put on as administrator,now im using this and all the problems that i was having with the other users aren't in here,but still how do i delete the very first user?all this trouble..i just wanted to change a simple little user name.I was really starting to enjoy my new cpu! Can someone please help or even point me in some directions,What should i try?:crying:

SicBoay, Mar 18, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. SicBoay

WAW8

Why didn't you just do this the easy way -- Control Panel --> Users and Accounts --> Change Account Name? Or did you try that, and Vista said you didn't have permission?

Either way, we could have helped you before you hosed up your machine.

Vista has introduced new levels of security that bring with them a ton of new registry entries. There are many entries, some of them indirect, that are based on user settings. If you're not intimately familiar with the new structure, you should not be moving stuff around. Doing so will hose up your machine.

You're just going to continue to have problems due to registry corruption. Best thing you can do at this point is move everything back and reset the registry keys you've changed. If everything begins working properly again, we can move on to HOW to do this right. If not, you're going to be faced with a complete reinstall to fix your machine.

WAW8, Mar 18, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. SicBoay

SicBoay

First off, Thank You for replying,ill just get to the point here,Yes i did try and go to control panel>user account>and just change the name there,but the thing is that when im uploading it always said from c:/user/me/pictures,instead of the new user name c:/user/sicboay/pictures...thats what made me mess around. But ANYWAY, ive been up all night trying to figure out what i changed in the regedit,i dunno what i did,so i just created a new user account again named it(donnie),gave administration privlages,and moved my docs,pics,and music over to the new account from the users (me) and (sicboay).Everything seems to be working great in this new account! Everything is pretty well back to default and all i need to do is fix up littlte minor settings, but here is where i took a break and wondered...Can i now delete the second user (sicboay)?and not have anything mess up on my new user(donnie)?...and finally can i delete the first user(me),even though it does not show up in user accounts? Is this the real hidden administrator thing i was reading about?if i can get this fixed ill never mess around with it again, i swear.:D

SicBoay, Mar 18, 2008
  4. SicBoay

WAW8

So, it looks like it changed the account "name" on screen but didn't change the directory structure to match? I can see where that could make things confusing afterwards.

That is actually the recommended way of doing it -- creating a new account from scratch.

Don't know because you said earlier that you couldn't move some files to the new account. Suggest you try disabling the account first. If that presents no problems after a while, you could then safely delete the account.

The safest way to do this is to use Computer --> Manage --> Users and Groups to disable the "first" user, and not delete it right away. In the Computer Mangement console, it clearly distinguishes between all accounts, hidden or otherwise. So you can't accidentally disable/delete the wrong account. The real Admin account is hidden/disabled unless you set it otherwise and, no, I would not delete that.

WAW8, Mar 18, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question