Vista has been a nightmare

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by westfield60, Feb 7, 2007.

1. westfield60

westfield60

So last night I undertook the task of installing Vista (ultimate full version)on my computer. The first observation was that the install was not as fast as some would have you believe. It took about 45 minutes whereas my XP installs used to take about 30 minutes.

Once installed the interface looks absolutely stunning. The first thing I did was to update Vista with the latest patches from Microsoft. Then I installed Flash and Itunes. With every install the nagging warnings were very irritating (to be fair I’m sure there is a hidden setting somewhere to turn this off). Then the 3rd software I proceeded to install was a software called Alcohol 120% which is a CD burning software like EZ CD creator and Nero. Note that Alcohol worked fine in XP. During the install I got the blue screen of death. The computer rebooted and once the desktop came back up again it once again went to the blue screen of death. It rebooted again and this time I went into safe mode. Once again the blue screen of death. After several more attempts I knew I had to reformat the computer again and reinstall.

On the second install I was wise and did not dare install Alcohol again. So I decided to do the safest thing I could do – Surf the web. I found a file that I wanted to download and Vista told me that it had downloaded it to my Users >James folder. But then I couldn’t find the file in this folder. So I downloaded it again but there was a message that I had missed the first time saying it was downloading it into a temp folder despite the fact that it showed James as the folder it was saving it into. I manually changed the selection of where to save the file and told it to the root of C. Vista then tells me that I do not have sufficient rights and I should contact the administrator – I am the F**** administrator.

Finally I walked away from the computer and upon coming back I noticed the screen saver was on (which was the first thing it did right). Pressing the spacebar there was a message window saying Vista has detected a hard disk failure and press any key to shut down.

That was it. I re-installed XP and everything is running great. I will save Vista for my eventual supercomputer that I hope to build someday or sell it on Ebay with a warning not to install it.

westfield60, Feb 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. westfield60

Vince53

Westfield, I read your article with interest. Various forums around the web are reporting similar problems. But can you tell us how many gigabytes of system RAM and video RAM you have? Technically, it should not make a difference in your situation. But I'm getting suspicious about how many mysterious problems could be due to Vista requiring too much RAM.

Thank you,

Vince

Vince53, Feb 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. westfield60

VistaRocks

Most of the time the blue screen of death is caused by hardware compatibility. But alcohol 120 isn't compatible and last i heard itunes isn't either. As far as system requirements like ram causing it well on my laptop (40gig hd and 512meg ram) it runs just fine. As far as the permissions thing well that's just some extra security, but even that can be turned off just search the forum.

VistaRocks, Feb 7, 2007
  4. westfield60

martin

Sadly i have justspent the last 8hrs re-installing windows xp pro and all my old software suite on the grounds vista ulimate at its price £££'sis just not ready enough for proper use(in fact it stinks).There just isnt enough compatible software out there for it,theres far to many of those nagging pop up screens every time you want to do something, although as has been said there probably is a way to turn them off but im buggered if i could find it.The list goes on.I run a duel core dell precision 380 w/station with 4gb of ramm(more than enough but vista runs like the preverbial bag of s*** on it.I wonder how much extra money bill gates has pocketed from people that got vista on there new system when they rushed to buy it on vistas release,only to rush back and buy a copy of xp to replace microsofts latest white elephant.Even windowsme (as bad as it was)was never as bad as vista already seems to be.Well i give it 6 mths max for they pull it,mines hit the bin already...........

martin, Feb 7, 2007
  5. westfield60

Jason

To turn off UAC: Control Panel > User accounts > Turn User Account Control on or Off.

That simple. But its there for a reason to prevent rootkits or trojans from running programs on your pc.

Jason, Feb 7, 2007
  6. westfield60

westfield60

Vince,

The specs on my system are quite good, but apparently not good enough...

Pentium 4 3.2GHz
    1 GB DDR Ram
    2 320GB HD's
    Creative Sound Blaster sound card
    128MB Gforce Graphics Card
    Dual Layer HP DVD burner

I plan on upgrading to a dual core CPU later this year and upgrading my Ram to 2GB and maybe then I'll bring out the vista again and try again

westfield60, Feb 7, 2007
  7. westfield60

VistaRocks

Your specs are fine. But maybe creative and Nivida causing some issues?

VistaRocks, Feb 7, 2007
  8. westfield60

PaulW

I have 5 blue screens of death in 4 days now with a brand new computer and just today I got an 'out of memory' error while working only with IE and iTunes.

VISTA blows.

I'm running:

HP 9210 AMD TURIONx2 Mobile; 2GB RAM; 256MB Video Card; Vista v6; All my stuff is up to date.

PaulW, Feb 7, 2007
  9. westfield60

martin

Ah,the oh so infamous blue screen of death and destruction.The last thing a person wants and needs with the new computer and microsofts oh so great new running suite...

I happened to nose round microsofts own vista forum earlier and suprise suprise,its even getting a kicking on there.

Do the decent thing and join the queue at pc world for a new copy of xp(unless youve already got one):w00t::p

martin, Feb 8, 2007
  10. westfield60

WAW8

I'm surprised to learn that Alcohol 120% is NOT compatible with Vista because I'm running it just fine on Vista Ultimate 32-bit. I did a clean install, not an upgrade, so maybe that makes the difference. Also, had to reactivate Alcohol via their website because my hardware signature is different when running Vista than when running XP. But apart from that minor inconvenience, it works just fine.

WAW8, Feb 13, 2007
  11. westfield60

Vince53

Westfield, you meet the minimum requirements for running Vista Premium, and that could be your problem. It is pretty well-established that you need double the requirements for any Windows OS to operate smoothly.

But I've been following various Vista forums, and I've noticed something: machines designed for Windows XP do not run well with Vista Premium, even with double the requirements. Newer machines that are designed for Vista from the ground up seem to be okay with double the requirements.

Buried in the background, Microsoft has advised all along that most users should only upgrade to Vista Basic.

Vince53, Feb 13, 2007
  12. westfield60

Silva

I'm awaiting for a shipment of new hardware to arrive tomorrow and themore I read about Vista, the more I'm worried if my stuff will cut it..

I have:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+

2GB DDR2 Ram

GeForce 7800GT Video Card

Brand New DFI Motherboard

DVD/CD +/-RW SATA drive with Lightscribe

I want to run Vista Business 64bit but I'm getting scared by all these stories of 32bit problems :crazy:

Silva, Feb 20, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question