Vista Hangs at Boot up

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Rob_T, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Rob_T

Rob_T

I tried this and rebooted several times. For me, screen flicker is gone (thanks!) but delay to connect to wireless is still there. I don't have Internet access until the red X goes away so no improvement there. Perhaps there's something else that needs disabled in the task scheduler...?

Rob_T, Aug 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Rob_T

Sucka

Well glad the flicker is gone.

I still have the 25-35 second delay between the red X and the active network icon, but i am able to launch my browser and other internet utilities right after boot, which i couldn't do before.

That's the only thing i was able to find online regarding this issue, so i don't think we're missing anything. I'm using the latest BIOS, latest drivers straight from Intel, so i guess we've reached the end here. I researched this problem months ago when this thread first popped up, so i'm out of things to try. I had to search for this post (i had forgotten where i made it) so i could at least fill you all in on the flicker fix :)

As always, i'll update you guys if i find anything else, but for now getting rid of the flicker is the best i can do.

Sucka, Aug 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Rob_T

rockshox91

wow thanks!!!! where did you get this by any chance?

rockshox91, Aug 23, 2007
  4. Rob_T

Sucka

From another forum. I can't take credit for it unfortunately.

Sucka, Aug 23, 2007
  5. Rob_T

rockshox91

did any of you guys try this drivers?

rockshox91, Aug 24, 2007
  6. Rob_T

rockshox91

7. Rob_T

rockshox91

i just reinstalled the new ones released july 5th....itt seems a little bit faster actually even though it wont show the globe itll already be connected even with the red x...interesting....i wonder if vista sp1 will fix these type of problems...

rockshox91, Aug 24, 2007
  8. Rob_T

Sucka

Yeah, i'm using the latest drivers. As i mentioned, i still have the slight lag after booting, but as i said i'm able to access the internet right upon reaching the desktop, before the red X has gone. As for the date though, the drivers i'm using are from May, not July. I'm not sure if you're looking at the whole package supplied by Intel, but i'm only using the latest "driver only" package which was released in May.

Sucka, Aug 24, 2007
  9. Rob_T

Rob_T

I'm currently using the Intel Wireless drivers for my laptop as provided on the Dell website. They are as recent as mid August, 2007 but don't offer any improvemetn to our problem. I'm going to give the Intel site drivers as listed above a shot and see if they are any better.

As always, I'll keep you posted with what I find out.

I too am hoping that SP1 for Vista handles this issue if we don't get it sorted out sooner.

Rob_T, Aug 24, 2007
  10. Rob_T

Sucka

Rob (and others if it applies): What kind of delay are you guys experiencing after disabling TMM? You said the flicker aspect is gone, but it still takes time to connect to the network (same issue that remains for me). For me, i'm able to boot Windows, and right after reaching the desktop, my internet based gadgets work (as they did before) but now i'm able to launch my browser and use my computer right away which previously i could not. It still takes what i estimate to be about 25-35 seconds for the network icon to turn blue, but everything is as it should be besides that now.

I am using version: 11.1.1.11/9.1.1.15 dated 5/25/2007, which can be found here.

Sucka, Aug 24, 2007
  11. Rob_T

Rob_T

I just installed the Intel wireless driver from 5/25/07.

Since disabling TMM the screen flicker is gone but even with the new Intel driver installed I have about a 40 second delay before I can hit the Internet. I have the red X, Internet Explorer is unresponsive (sits there with a white screen) until the wireless connects and then all is good.

Rob_T, Aug 25, 2007
  12. Rob_T

ScathaDragon

That trick got rid of the flicker, but I'm still having that network icon problem.. I can connect to the my wireless internet right away.. but I can't do any administrative tasks or access Windows Explorer until my network shows that I'm connected to the internet.

Oh, well.. I can live without the flicker for now. Let's all hope this will all be fixed when Microsoft releases SP1!

ScathaDragon, Aug 25, 2007
  13. Rob_T

Sucka

Thanks for clearing that up. So you both pretty much have the same problem as me remaining, only i'm able to access the internet despite having the red X for an additional 30 seconds, very odd. Not sure what else to try. Just keep up on BIOS/Driver updates, and hope a fix comes around. At least we made some progress on the matter.

Sucka, Aug 26, 2007
  14. Rob_T

Rob_T

Well, I did a BIOS update and wiped outthe hard drive and re-installed Vista (Ultimate). I then added the above "screen flicker fix." Now I still have the red X but have instant Internet access (I no longer have to wait 40 seconds to connect to the Internet even though I have the red X on the wireless connection).

Not a 100% fix but still a lot better then when we started this thread. Again, let's hope SP1 wraps this issue up.

I'll keep you posted if I find out anything else.

Rob_T, Sep 9, 2007
  15. Rob_T

rockshox91

one question, do all of you guys use itunes?

rockshox91, Sep 11, 2007
  16. Rob_T

Rob_T

Ihad iTunes on my laptop until recently.I have not re-installed itsince I wiped the hard drive and re-installed Vista.

My laptop has been running much better since the re-install. I'm not sure if it's due to not having iTunes on it (yet) or not.

Rob_T, Sep 11, 2007
  17. Rob_T

ScathaDragon

I've never used iTunes at all on my laptop.

ScathaDragon, Sep 12, 2007
  18. Rob_T

Rob_T

OK, now that I have just installed Sprint Connection Manager I'm back to having a delay again connecting to wireless at boot up.I suspectmy laptopwaiting for the dialup connection to "time out" before it goes to wireless and i haven't founda way to stop this.

Rob_T, Sep 13, 2007
  19. Rob_T

murph

I had the exact problem..Disabled workstation service..and voila! problem solved. Hope this helps

murph, Oct 5, 2007
  20. Rob_T

ScathaDragon

This works! My internet icon changes right when I start-up; I don't need to wait a minute anymore :D

ScathaDragon, Oct 6, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question