Vista Hangs at Boot up

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Rob_T, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Rob_T

Rob_T

I'm running a Dell E1405 laptop with Vista Ultimate and it hangs at boot. The system boots normally and fairly quickly, then it just stops like it's waiting for something to time-out (no drive activity). Then, after about a minute, it continues and connects to the wireless network.

I went to msconfig and disabled things that boot but it still hangs before connecting to wireless. I thought it might be bluetooth but even after disabling that I still get a one minute lag/delay.

Any ideas on what may delay the connection to wireless?

Rob_T, Jun 6, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Rob_T

Jason

Your wireless driver. Disable your wireless card, reboot and see if it still happens. If it does it means its your wireless car driver.

Jason, Jun 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Rob_T

Rob_T

Gave that a try, wasn't able to resolve the problem. I updated the wireless driver from Dell support as well but still no luck.

It boots quickly, then just stops for about a minute or minute and a half, then goes on to load Bluetooth then wireless. There must be something in the boot sequence or the processes that's holding things up.

Any ideas how to determine/nail down the culprit?

Rob_T, Jun 8, 2007
  4. Rob_T

mzilewicz

I am having the same problem. It just started when i switched over to my onboard wireless card. The system will hang for almost exactly 1 minute (56-58 seconds according to the event log) before starting the network service.

Also when i launch Internet Explorer during that dead time, it loads to a blank page. I am lost at this point, i have updated drivers and did windows updates, no joy.

mzilewicz, Jun 9, 2007
  5. Rob_T

Sucka

I have the same notebook, and the exact same problem. There is a screen flicker right before i am connected to the internet, and everything is good to go from that flicker on.

Also when connecting, in the sidebar it will say i have 100% connectivity to my network, and the weather side bar gadgets i use all display proper temps, meaning there is internet activity upon startup, but for some reason the red X remains in the system tray and i can't launch web sites or anything. I'm using the latest BIOS, drivers and drivers straight from Intel which are more current than the WIFI drivers from Dell.

Bottom line, i haven't been able to figure it out either. For me, it's about a 35 second delay between desktop and ready to go, so it's a minor annoyance more than anything else.

Sucka, Jun 12, 2007
  6. Rob_T

Rob_T

"<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top>

<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl5_lblFullMessage>"I have the same notebook, and the exact same problem. There is a screen flicker right before i am connected to the internet, and everything is good to go from that flicker on."</SPAN>

<SPAN></SPAN>

<SPAN>Yes, that's it exactly. If anyone figures something out to fix this or has ideas on what to try next, let me know.

</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Rob_T, Jun 13, 2007
  7. Rob_T

Sucka

Did you contact Dell about it? If we're both having identical issues, it's safe to assume everyone else is as well, they might have a case history of it. If you do contact them, update us here so I can fix it as well :)

Sucka, Jun 13, 2007
  8. Rob_T

Jason

You can try to see if a service is slow to start. By disabling any networking related services.

http://vistarewired.com/2007/02/18/services/

Get in the services menu and disable anything with networking temporarily and re-boot see if you still have the problem, then re-enable them.

Jason, Jun 14, 2007
  9. Rob_T

Camride

Do you guys have UAC enabled or disabled? With the screen flicker it almost sounds like maybe there's an issue with UAC. I know it's a bit of a wild guess, but if it's enabled i'd disable it and reboot and see if it still does it.

Oddly enough I had a E1505 and never had any issues similar to that. Though mine was a first gen E1505 with a regular Core Duo.

You guys have the regular Dell wireless card?

Camride, Jun 14, 2007
  10. Rob_T

Jason

Another thing to try which should work, is create a new user account. Then log into that account and see if the problem still exists. This would eliminate any startup programs not in the registry for all users.

Jason, Jun 14, 2007
  11. Rob_T

Rob_T

Tried the UAC suggestion, no go. Will try the new user account idea and see what happens...

Rob_T, Jun 15, 2007
  12. Rob_T

Rob_T

Adding a new user doesn't resolve this...boot still hangs.

Rob_T, Jun 24, 2007
  13. Rob_T

Sucka

I was just checking in to see if there was a resolution, guess not :unsure:

I don't use UAC, so not that.

Just one account, the way i intend to keep things, so that wouldn't be a resolution.

I've tinkered with services in the past, it didn't help anything.

Using Intel 3945abg card, latest drivers straight from Intel.

I'm still thinking a call to Dell is in order. All drivers being up to date, latest BIOS, all updates from Msoft, i can not for the life of me trouble shoot this thing. But as i said before, it's only a 35-45 second affair for me, so it's more of an annoyance than a problem.

Sucka, Jun 26, 2007
  14. Rob_T

Rob_T

Well this is sitll an issue for me. 35 - 45 second delay at boot before it connects to wireless. Using the latest video driver. FWIW I had (temporarily) Ubuntu on another partition and it booted fine with no delay. Seems like a Vista/hardware conflict of some sort.

Can't figure this one out...

Rob_T, Jul 31, 2007
  15. Rob_T

Salty

I have looked all over the internet for a solution to this problem, and I couldn't even find anyone with the same problem that I was having...here's the specs on my lappy...

TYPE: Acer Aspire Laptop

PROCESSOR: Intel Duo Core 1.86 GHz

GRAPHICS: Mobile Intel 965 (Latest drivers from Intel)

WIRELESS: Intel 3945ABGchipset (Latest drivers from Intel)

RAM: 2 gigabytes

HDD: 160 gig (Partitioned into two halves, 37 gig free on one and 42 gig free on the other)

GRAPHICS CAPABILITIES: Graphics card/ram/processor are all very capable to run windows vista aero effects and do so flawlessly when enabled (to save processing power and cut load times, I leave them turned off).

Here's my problem...
    Vista boots fine. Very quickly. When I load the user, most of the GUI works fine. If I open the Control Panel, I can't launch Device manager until the screen flickers about two minutes later. At the bottom right of the screen, the wireless icon says not connected and it doesn't work until the screen flickers. Does anyone have any ideas? This is becoming quite bothersome. Best Buy's geek squad had no clue. Acer had no clue. I'm wondering if this is even fixable. haha.

I tried disabling the wireless driver...The flicker still exists about two minutes after boot up. I can, however, use device manager and the rest of the GUI (save for wireless of course...[disabled]).

Salty, Aug 2, 2007
  16. Rob_T

ScathaDragon

I also have the same exact problem.. and the same laptop! ..though mine is a different model ~ An Acer Aspire 5610Z.

Here are my specs:

RAM: 1GB DDR2

HDD: 120GB

VC: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

CPU: Intel Dual-core processor (1.6Ghz)

wLAN: Atheros AR5005G Wireless Network Adapter

I've tried the following:

1.] Disabling the wireless network service, drivers, etc.

2.] Disabling Windows Aero

3.] Reformatting and reinstalling Windows Vista

4.] Creating a new User Account

5.] Updating all my hardware drivers

I've also tried contacting Acer with this problem, and they didn't even bother fixing my problem. :unsure:

One thing I've noticed that is when you try right-clicking the network icon, the menu is non-highlightable/non-responsive until the screen 'flickers'. And another thing I've noticed is that this problem seems to get worse over time. I've just re-formatted my computer.. and the screen flickers 30-45 seconds after I log on.. but over a course of two or three months, it'd take two to three minutes, then a flicker.. and the mouse pointer would re-position itself in the center of the screen.

This is a frustrating problem, because I hate waiting a minute or two for a certain program to 'respond' (IE: Programs that need administrative rights.)

I'm not sure whether or not it's a driver issue or a Windows Vista issue. :unsure: I'm -hoping- SP1 will fix this problem!

ScathaDragon, Aug 4, 2007
  17. Rob_T

rockshox91

Hey guys new to the forum, i also have the network connection delay at startup...the screen will flicker before the internet actually connects...this is very annoying because this is obviously slower than windows xp...anyone find a solution to this...from what i have read....it seems to be a vista related issue...is everyone here using an intel wireless card? maybe it could be that....i also have nothing on startup besides some hp quicklaunch....this is really weird because this is happening on more than one brand of laptop....im hp...others are acer, etc and we are running into the same 45-1 min connection lag....any help or suggestions would be nice.

thanks

rockshox91, Aug 18, 2007
  18. Rob_T

Rob_T

Seems like we all have two things in common with regard to this problem:

1. Windows Vista

2. Intel PRO wireless

I can confirm I don't have the delay when using Ubuntu (Linux) on the same machine and I don't have the problem when I plug in the laptop to a router using a cable.

Rob_T, Aug 18, 2007
  19. Rob_T

rockshox91

yeah i was on the hp forums and some people seem to have it on other dv models....this is weird seems like it only happens on some people..it really annoys me...i jus hibernate nowadays :(.... i dont know what to do....not sure i want to reinstall vista....

rockshox91, Aug 19, 2007
  20. Rob_T

Sucka

I can't take credit for this, but someone found a fix to the screen flicker problem. I no longer have the screen flicker before my network activity initiates, but it still takes about 25-35seconds before network icon shows connected state.

1. Click on the Start button.

2. Type "Task Scheduler" and hit Enter.

3. On the left-hand side, click "Task Scheduler Local".

4. Expand "Task Scheduler Library," then "Microsoft," then "Windows," then click "MobilePC."

5. Up top, you'll see a task called "TMM." Click it, and on the right-hand side, click "Disable."

6. You're done.

Again, this took care of the flicker, but i still have the annoying network connection lag.

Edit: I can use my browser right after boot despite the red X being over the network symbol, so i guess the problem is all but gone you could say? Can someone else confirm this finding?

Sucka, Aug 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question