Vista Graphics Crash

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by polygone, Feb 5, 2008.

1. polygone

polygone

OK, I had Vista running on this system for quite some time:

Vista Ultimate 64bit

AMD Athlon +4400 x 2 2.2Ghz

2 GB DDR

500w PSU

NForce MB

Nvidia 6600GT PCI-E

37" LCD via DVI-HDMI

OK, so I decided to dual boot some other operating systems. All is well for quite some time. I decided to format the drive and reinstall Vista, so I can have some more disk space.

Long story short, I reinstalled Vista fresh on the drive and now it gives me this horrible distortion in the graphics. Everything installs fine, I assume. I just can't do anything because I can't see anything. It's not black, but has tons of blocks all over it. I was thinking it was my graphics card taking a dive, but I can get OSX86/Ubuntu with Desktop effects to run fine. So, I am at a loss, as both the other systems require graphics acceleration. It's just Vista that doesn't want to work. Any suggestions?

As I mentioned, it did work for months fine. It's just now starting to distort.

polygone, Feb 5, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. polygone

Jason

Jason, Feb 5, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. polygone

polygone

Well, no. I never really had to before.

Can you think of a relatively easy method to do this, without being able to see things very well?

Edit: Safe mode....NM

I'll give it a whack.

polygone, Feb 5, 2008
  4. polygone

WAW8

Notice you're connecting via HDMI port. Search this Forum using "HDMI" and you'll see other posts addressing display problems. Maybe some of them will provide some useful hints for your display.

WAW8, Feb 5, 2008
  5. polygone

polygone

OK, I got the drivers installed in safe mode. Vista runs fine, but the graphics still freak out in a couple of situations.

Situations where it freaks out:

Login Screen and Intro Logo

When administrative privileges are needed and the "continue" button pops up

I am thinking it has something to do with Windows basic, maybe......

3DS Max used to kick windows into basic mode all the time. I've yet to install it back on this machine. If it freaks out because of that going into basic mode, I am in trouble. It is one of my most used programs.

It also crashes totally when I leave it set for awhile.....I've adjusted the power settings so it shouldn't go into sleep......but it still does...or at least I think that's what it's doing when it crashes....

Any word on why this might still be freaking out, even with the correct drivers?

Edit: Ohh and WAW, I really don't think it's the HDMI. I've used it forever with no problems.

polygone, Feb 8, 2008
  6. polygone

WAW8

OK, you've been using the HDMI without problems, but you say you've been using Vista for "a while" and just recently reinstalled it. If you used it for several months, you probably did some Windows Updates during those months, and might have updated your MS video driver more than once. When you reinstalled, you went back to the original driver that comes on the DVD.

I mentioned the HDMI posts because there are some tweaking suggestions in those posts that might help you overcome some of the display artifacts.

WAW8, Feb 8, 2008
  7. polygone

polygone

Sorry. I didn't mean to sound like a jerk, if that's how I came off. I'll take a look through the HDMI threads. It just doesn't make sense to me that the "aero" portion of Vista works and the other less graphically intense things don't. That just didn't seem like something I would attribute to the screen, since most of the time it works.

It worked right from the start, when I first installed it. I was running XP, then I installed Vista. I installed it myself. It worked right out of the box, without any updates. I, also, ran all the updates this time around. I've reinstalled it 8 to ten times, dual booting with several other operating systems. Each time, I had no problems. While I had OSX installed on another partition, the problems started. I thought that I might have just damaged the partition or something, so I reinstalled. Even after formatting it, it still messed up. That lead me to think that it was just my graphics card going to shit.

I am still at a loss, though.

Edit: I ran a search of HDMI and there were only 8 matches. None of them seemed close.

Is there a way to run a diagnostic on my graphics card?

Edit2: Do you think it might be an update or something?

polygone, Feb 8, 2008
  8. polygone

WAW8

Found this on another forum discussing using a LCD TV with an Nvidia card:

NVIDIA has not implemented full underscan compensation control in the drivers yet. But, end users can access 8% underscan compensation from the Windows Vista Display Properies Control Panel on an HDTV as follows:

Open the Windows Control Panel, click Classic View, then double-click Personalization.

Click Display Settings, then click Advanced Settings.

Click the Monitor Tab.

Clear (uncheck) the Hide modes that this monitor cannot display checkbox, then click OK.

Once this is done, HDTV users will now see up to two new "underscanned" modes on the Windows Display Settings Control Panel, depending on their HDTV–1176x656 for 720p modes and 1768x992 for 1080i/1080p modes.

To switch between the interlaced and progressive modes for 1768x992,

Click Advanced Settings, then click the Adapter Tab.

Click List all modes, then locate the modes that are appended with "interlaced" or "progressive" and click the appropriate mode.

Click OK, then click OK or Apply.

WAW8, Feb 8, 2008
  9. polygone

polygone

OK, I've gone through and tried that. It opens up all the different displays and whatnot. No matter what resolution I am at I still get the following. (see attachment)

It's just at login or administrative privilege screen, otherwise my screen is normal.

polygone, Feb 8, 2008
  10. polygone

WAW8

So, you're saying your display is fine, but when the UAC panel launches, that's when you get the display problems? When you close the UAC panel, does the display return to normal (as in OK)?

WAW8, Feb 10, 2008
  11. polygone

polygone

Yes, that's exactly it. When I close it, all the graphics go back to normal and all is well. This wouldn't be too horrible, but I have now confirmed that it does this when the theme goes to Vista Basic. This is really bad because 3DS Max kicks it into Basic mode for whatever reason. This is now making my favorite program useless.

So, it creates the above-mentioned anomaly, when:

A. It's at the log-in screen

B. On UAC display

C. Screen Savers (they also crash the whole computer after a bit)

D. When a program kicks it into Vista Basic

I am going to do some searching.....let me know if you make anything of this.

I've also tried reinstalling a couple of times.......

polygone, Feb 10, 2008
  12. polygone

WAW8

Since you have UAC enabled, I'm guessing that you're also having the screen darken when the prompt comes us -- this is normal behaviour. As an experiment, try the following:

[url]http://www.howtogeek.com/howt...stop-blacking-out-the-screen-in-windows-vista

[/url]

This will prevent the screen from darkening. What will be more interesting is if it also prevents the display problems.

Also, I thought you said that you had NOT reinstalled 3DS max in Vista. So, is it there or not? If so, what version is it? From the AutoDesk site, it appears that you need to be running 3ds Max v9, service pack 2. That version mentions Vista compatability issues.

WAW8, Feb 10, 2008
  13. polygone

polygone

Dang it. No Go. Well, it doesn't tweak out like that, but that's because it isn't performing the UAC. It still isn't right, when I am at login in or when I use Max. I didn't have Max installed, when I first posted here. I wanted to install it, knowing that it would kick it into Basic. Well, it does kick it into basic and it does mess up when I do that. I have a feeling Windows uses two different composite engines or something.....kind of like Compiz Fuzion and Meta City...(linux)..otherwise it would freak out all the time or not at all.....I have no idea how Windows renders it's graphics, but I definitely notice a correlation between the "aero" modes and everything else. It's like it is disabling everything that runs in basic mode, which makes absolutely no sense to me.

polygone, Feb 11, 2008
  14. polygone

WAW8

So, to repeat my question, have you reinstalled 3ds Max and, if so, what version are you running?

If you only want fancier graphics, you can do without Aero and use WindowBlinds. It provided the ability to "skin" your desktop (much the same as themes in GNU/Linux), but it doesn't use Aero.

WAW8, Feb 12, 2008
  15. polygone

polygone

Yes, I reinstalled 3DS Max. It's the new version 3ds max 2008 student edition. I've had it working before. Yes, I've used window blinds in the past, but the problem isn't aero. Aero works fine. It's the lowest graphic mode, Basic, that is giving me the problem. Besides, I payed for Vista, so I can't just give up. What I am not understanding is how this could install correct a couple of times and then just not. It makes no sense whatsoever. Something caused the anomaly, so I've got to figure it out. The only other thing involved was the fact that I had OSX86 installed on another partition. That's when the problems started, but I've used G-part and deleted everything. Then, I reinstalled Windows fresh. I am starting to wonder if OSX damaged the graphics card. That doesn't make much sense, either, because I can reinstall it and it works fine. The last thing I want to do is sink $450 into a new bfg and have it still not work.

polygone, Feb 12, 2008
  16. polygone

WAW8

Think you have me stumped. Only way I know to "damage" a graphics card is to overclock it to the point that the GPU(s) overheat and, either they corrupt, or the memory chips corrupt -- but if that happened, you would most likely get NO display, not a good one except under Vista Basic.

WAW8, Feb 12, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question