Vista Fresh Install Issue

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by tjschwem, Sep 9, 2008.

1. tjschwem

tjschwem

Hello,

Recently I just built my first custom rig. I installed all of the hardware and got all of the wiring done correctly. My problem is that when I insert the Vista OEM disc it will go to the black screen with the gray bar that says "Windows is loading files..." but after that the <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 12px; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana,Helvetica; POSITION: relative">computer</SPAN> just goes to a black screen. The DVD drive also stops spinning after about 30 seconds and the hdd light stops blinking.

I have checked the DVD drive, hard drive, video card, and RAM and all are working correctly. I have the DVD drive listed as the first boot drive on BIOS. Also, I have tried installing with just the bare essentials as many searches of this problem through <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 12px; COLOR: blue! important; BORDER-BOTTOM: blue 1px solid; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana,Helvetica; POSITION: relative; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">google</SPAN> have suggested but that didn't work either.

My <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 12px; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana,Helvetica; POSITION: relative">system</SPAN> specs are:
    asus p5q-pro mobo
    western digital 6400aaks hard drive
    intel e8400 dual core processor
    LG 20X <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 12px; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana,Helvetica; POSITION: relative">DVD</SPAN>±R DVD Burner SATA Model GH20NS15
    EVGA 8800gt <A class=kLink oncontextmenu="return false;" id=KonaLink5 onmouseover=adlinkMouseOver(event,this,5); style="POSITION: static; TEXT-DECORATION: underline! important" onclick=adlinkMouseClick(event,this,5); onmouseout=adlinkMouseOut(event,this,5); href="http://help.wugnet.com/vista/Vista-Fresh-Installation-Issue-ftopict137933.html#" target=_top><SPAN class=kLink style="FO

tjschwem, Sep 9, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. tjschwem

WAW8

I notice your optical drive is SATA. Is your hard drive SATA as well? If so, is it setup as SATA-IDE or SATA-RAID? Either way, you're going to need SATA drivers on disk or USB to load during installation.

Also, didn't know how much memory you have installed. If you have 4GB (or more), and especially if you have 4 sticks loaded, try installing with only two sticks or 2GB. There have been problems reported with Vista not installing when 4GB is present on the system.

WAW8, Sep 9, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. tjschwem

tjschwem

Both my optical drive and my hard drive are SATA and are set up as SATA-IDE. I only have 2gb of ram installed currently in the system. Where could I get the SATA drivers to install onto the system from? Thank you very much :)

tjschwem, Sep 10, 2008
  4. tjschwem

WAW8

The SATA drivers come from the manufacturer of the SATA chipset you're using. If the SATA plugs are on the motherboard, you may have to go to the motherboard vendor to get the drivers. Or, you may have to find out who made the SATA chipset, and go to their site.

I have a machine with an ASUS motherboard, but the SATA chipset was made by Nvidia, so I had to go to the Nvidia site to track down Vista SATA drivers -- because ASUS didn't supply Vista drivers for that motherboard.

Since your board is also an ASUS, I would start with their site. If they don't have Vista SATA drivers (SATA-IDE not SATA-RAID), you will have to look through the specs to see whose chipset it is and go there.

WAW8, Sep 10, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question