Vista freezing and unknown DVD drive appearing?

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by tExAs*pEtE, Aug 28, 2007.

1. tExAs*pEtE

tExAs*pEtE

Greetings, i've had Vista ultimate 32-bit now for a few weeks and its been going great. This last weekend I installed Daemon tools and ever since my system has been freezing up completely, and I'm having to power off to get the damn thing to do anything. Since this happened the first time my working DVD drive vanished! and I was left with the virtual drive E: (my dvd drive having been d: I thought it must be Daemon tools, so I there fore uninstalled it as i thought it might be the virtual drive. But no!The virtual drive E:vanished then leaving me with an unknown DVD drive F:????? Now after swapping thearound the dvd drivewiring inside the cpu, it has once more returned! But I'm still left with this F: drive. I managed to uninstall this useless drive andeverything was fine, until later on the cpu froze AGAIN! I powered off, re-booted and shock horrorThe f: drive is back! along with my working D: DVD drive!

I am still getting random crashes and mainly freezing of my system.Can anybody shed any light? I'm pretty sure its the DVD drive and Daemon Tools causing it (Even though its uninstalled). I did also notice when I was searching forhardware changes when I lost the DVD drive the first time,that it froze the system up as well. This other drive f:appears as LITE-ON then a load of numbers & letters and it says its a cdrom drive.

My system is as follows:

Processor: intel core duo E6600
    Motherboard: nforce 680i sli
    Memory: 2GB corsair twinX XMS2
    Graphics card: 768mb Gainward 8800GTX
    Hard Drive: 250 Gb Western Digital WD2500KS Caviar SE16, SATA300, 7200 rpm, 16MB Cache, 8.9 ms
    1.44Mb Sony Black Floppy Disk Drive OEM
    Bog standard DVD drive (make escapes me! but nothing fancy)
    LN18713 - DVD writer - £20.20(x2 because its so much better having 2)
    Windows vista ultimate 32-bit

Thank you

tExAs*pEtE, Aug 28, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. tExAs*pEtE

cyclic

LN18713 is a SATA drive, if you have itunes installed there is apparently a bug withinh the itunes installation that causes this kind of problem, I have not been able to find a solution to it yet as the original MS knowledgebase article has been removed ! If I do find anything I'll let you know.

cyclic, Aug 28, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. tExAs*pEtE

tExAs*pEtE

Hmmm, interesting. On one of the resets I had to do I noticed on the startup diagnostics the sata 6 read out went red and had random text in it. Strange that itunes could cause that? I've had itunes on for weeks and it hasnt frozen until the weekend. Myabe Daemon tools just pushed it over the edge! Why would it cause everything to freeze?

tExAs*pEtE, Aug 28, 2007
  4. tExAs*pEtE

cyclic

Apparently is't a driver fr CD's that itumes installs that DT oe Alcohol knocks out of tilt, I just can't find a working solution, personally I would consider removing itunes (just for now don't panic) then run a full system file check which should do away with any anomilies, finally put itunes back and hopefully you wont have the same problem again.

cyclic, Aug 28, 2007
  5. tExAs*pEtE

tExAs*pEtE

Ok, I'm not all that fussed about itunes to be honest! Did you say Alcohol buggers it up too? because I did have that for a short period. I'm guessing its mainly my fault for installing too many similar conflicting programs!

Thanks again!

tExAs*pEtE, Aug 28, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question