Vista Encryption & Sleep

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Wojman, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Wojman

Wojman

I can't get encryption work on my Window Vista Home Premium.

I know where to find it, but the checkbox is 'uncheckable', has anyone found this problem out?

Also i can't get my computer to go to sleep, i thought i was because of AIM. It seems like the only way i can put the computer to sleep is to logoff and then hit sleep, but it only works when it wants to. Has anybody found out anything on these two problems???

Wojman, Apr 19, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Wojman

WAW8

Regarding encryption, are you referring to Encrypted File System (EFS)? If so, read the following:

"EFS is not fully supported on Windows Vista Starter, Windows Vista Home Basic, and Windows Vista Home Premium. For those editions of Windows, if you have the encryption key or certificate, you can do the following:

Decrypt files by running Cipher.exe in the Command Prompt window (advanced users)

Modify an encrypted file

Copy an encrypted file as decrypted to a hard disk on your computer

Import EFS certificates and keys

Back up EFS certificates and keys by running Cipher.exe in the Command prompt window (advanced users)"

WAW8, Apr 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Wojman

kingofnexus

What happens when you hit sleep? Does it just not do anything? Does it got to sleep and wake up immediately?

kingofnexus, Apr 23, 2007
  4. Wojman

Wojman

When i hit sleep, it will go to sleep for about 10-15 seconds, then it will wake up by itself. However what happened last night was i just let it run all night. Then it went to sleep by itself.

Do you know any reason why this is doing that?

Wojman, Apr 24, 2007
  5. Wojman

kingofnexus

Mine did the same thing. I found that is was the keyboard and mouse that was doing it, if i removed them it would go and stay asleep. To fix this, I threw them in the bin, and got an official usb M$ wireless keyboard and mouse to make sure it would work properly.

kingofnexus, Apr 24, 2007
  6. Wojman

Walker

is it a notebook or a standing pc?

Anyhow Encryption is only available in Business.

And Ultimate? Well it is Ultimate i can vouch for that as i am a proud owner.

Walker, Apr 24, 2007
  7. Wojman

Wojman

Man, that means i <U>have</U> to get a Microsoft keyboard and mouse, that blows.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Wojman, Apr 25, 2007
  8. Wojman

Wojman

My computer is a desktop. What exactly is different about Ultimate vs. Home Premium.

I am guessing the same differences between XP Home and XP Pro?

Wojman, Apr 25, 2007
  9. Wojman

kingofnexus

Yes, basically.

Ultimate has certain perks over HomeP too, like through its ultimate extras is the only way to get Video or 3D backgrounds. Also you get a Texas Hold'em game. Other less important things too.

Also before you go and get a new keyboard and mouse check them first. Put your comp to sleep and quickly pull out the cables for it first and see if it stays asleep.

kingofnexus, Apr 25, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question